Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avani5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Sump pump in basement does not stop
    Hello,

We have a sump pump in our basement.
    Sump usually goes on and off depending on the water level in the well.
    But all of a sudden sump does not stop running, even if the water level is zeor or at the level where sump pump should stop working.
    Sump pump is in working condition, as it pumps the water out of the well. Main problem is it doesn't stop after doing so, and still continues running.
    For now I have unplugged the sump pump.
    Please let me know what should I do ?
    reddeer Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 16, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by avani5
    hello,

we have a sump pump in our basement.
    sump usually goes on and off depending on the water level in the well.
    but all of a sudden sump does not stop running, even if the water level is zeor or at the level where sump pump should stop working.
    sump pump is in working condition, as it pumps the water out of the well. Main problem is it doesn't stop after doing so, and still continues running.
    for now i have unplugged the sump pump.
    please let me know what should i do ?
    Your sump pump has a small float (like the one in your toilet tank) that raises and lowers with the water level. As the sump pit fills, the float raises past a set level where it actives the pump and drains the pit. Once the water level decreases, the float lowers and the pump is deactivated. It is more than likely your float is stuck in the up position due to a piece of jammed debris. Grab a flashlight and peer into the sump and see if you can see the float. Look around to see if there is anything disrupting the free movement of the float.
    avani5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Submersible Pump does not stop
    Hello,

Submersible pump in my basement pump out the sump but does not stop after doing so.

I had put the same question yesterday, and I got a reply to it

Reply was to look for float valve and, and make sure it floats freely and is not stuck in up position

But today I realized that I have a submersible pump with diaphram switch.

To my knowledge diaphram switch works on pressure and does not go up and down.
    So there is no question of getting stuck.

Now I am not sure, what should I do to resovle my problem.

Can anyone explain me please

Thanks,
    Avani
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2007, 12:57 PM
    what should I do to resovle my problem.
    Change out the diaphram switch. Sounds like it's stuck in the energized position. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement flooding - sump pump on continuously [ 3 Answers ]

I have experienced some small basement flooding in my 1.5 year old home. The sump pump has been working continuously and with all the rain here in the midwest it would go off every 3 to 4 seconds. Now it is going on every 10 to 15 seconds as the rains have stopped. A few days ago we had small...

Is trapped drain in basement an alternative to sump pump? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I have groundwater entering my basement during storms at one single point in the floor, and at no other place currently. It is earthen in the small area where the water enters. I can pinpoint the point of entrace with a pencil tip! The water drains down a worn channel about one foot in...

Toilet in the basement with a sump pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with a toilet in the basement with a sump pump it wants to back up after a few flushes and it will go down when the pump comes on. What is the problem?

Basement washing machine w/o sump pump? [ 1 Answers ]

How high can a washing machine pump it's drain water out? We want to move our washing machine to the basement and wonder if we can get away without installing a sump pump.

Toilet drain to Basement Sump pump [ 7 Answers ]

I want to add a bathroom in my basement. I was wondering if I could run my toilet drain into the sump pump hole. ( I have my own septic symstem and the drain leaving the house is 4ft. Above the basement floor). Also, would this need to be vented? The toilet would be about 6 to 8 ft. from the...

View more questions Search