Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MC 5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2005, 08:52 AM
    Plumbing flange height?
    I checked my two plumbing books and got conflicting answers. Should the top of the toilet flange be flush with the floor before installing the wax gasket and toilet or should it be 1/4" above the floor surface? The last suggestion was in one book and I really can't remember ever replacing a wax ring that had a flange top surface 1/4" above the floor?
    Which is correct flush or 1/4" above floor? :confused: :confused:
    OK I see that confusion with my question. NO, space at bottom of flange next to floor. Bottom of flange is tight against floor.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 23, 2005, 09:06 AM
    If you're asking if there should be a 1/4" gap between the bottom of the flange and the floor the answer is no.
    The bottom of the flange should be tight against the floor.
    If you're asking if the flange should be recessed in the floor so the top of the flange is even with the floor line it's not necessary. Since the bowl sets more then 1/4" off the floor and not tight against it, if the top of the flange is 1/4" off the floor instead of being recessed within it it makes no difference.
    Hope this answers your question. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange height too high? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the allowable height of a PVC toilet flange above a tile floor. The Oatey screw and set PVC flange insert into my 3" cast iron waste line sits on top of my new tile floor. The thickness of the flange top is 1/2" . So the flange height is 1/2" above the floor level. ...

Height of toilet flange above new tile [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am finishing a bathroom in my basement. How high does the toilet flange, which is PVC, need to be above the level of the tile we are going to install soon? Not sure how high to cut the pipe... :o

Closet Flange Height [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed a few toilets and I always get different answers from different sources on this. Should the toilet flange be at the same height as the surrounding floor level or should it be slightly above, or.. Does it matter? Thanks, Jesse

Toilet flange height [ 5 Answers ]

I've looked and lookedd but can't find at what height the toilet mounting flange is to be from the finished floor for correct installation of a wax ring and toilet bowl. I have a concrete floor that I plan to put tile on, and the plumber on rough-in left the drain pipe about 3 inches out of the...

Closet Flange Height Requirement [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bath and will have a 1/2" subfloor installed over existing hardwood floor (vinyl will be installed later). Will I need to bring the height of the closet flange up higher? If so, how high should it be above the new subfloor? Is this something that's easily done after the new...

View more questions Search