Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imageplus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Septic smell after flushing commode
    I am getting a strong septic smell after flushing the commode or running water in the sink on the 2nd floor. I added an addition to my house 3 years ago and tied a new bathroom into the septic system. All was well for a while but now we get a strong septic smell every time we flush any commode in the upstairs of the house. Our sink in the new bathroom (2nd floor) also releases a smell when running water. I have also been having an unsual amount of clogged toilets. It almost seems like they are vapor locked. I have a vent pipe from the new bathroom sink going into the attic and ending at the peak vent inside. I also added another vent at the other end of the new plumbing for a whirlpool tub (tub never installed). It seems like sometype of venting issue but I am not sure. Any ideas?
    str82hell Posts: 30, Reputation: 5

Oct 10, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Is there a floor drain? If there is try pouring some drain cleaner in it and flushing it with water. If there is not then pour a small amount of drain cleaner in the toilet, the sink, and the tub drains. Run all three simulatanously for a minute of so. Most sinks also have an overflow section. NOT at the same time as the drain cleaner, you can pour some bleach carefully into the top of the overflow to kill the fungi and bacteria that build up in there and cause a nasty odor. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad smell when flushing toilets [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bad sewage smell when flushing all toilets in the house. The house was built 2 years ago on a slab. The toilets flush normally, water levels are good, only once did we have a clog which was remedied by a normal plunger. Each time we flush we smell the sewage. No smell comes from other...

Septic smell [ 4 Answers ]

We have a septic field at our vacation home and every time we stay there (which is weekends only) the 2nd. Or 3rd. Day we get a smell in our bathroom for about a half hour or so. We have tried chickern fat and skins as well as septobac but the smell always comes

SEPTIC:sulpher smell when flushing the toilets [ 6 Answers ]

Hello Every time I flush the toilets, I notice a sulphur smell emanating from them. Sometimes it is stronger than others. I notice it in all three toilets. I have a two story house with no basement, and a septic system with a drain field. I only notice this in the toilets, not with any of the...

View more questions Search