Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlocurcio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2005, 02:36 PM
    Laundry tub pump vent
    I have a laundry tub installed in the basment. It drains to a sealed pump box. The pump inside discharges to the house drain above. The box is vented to the house drain also. About two feet upstream from where the discharge tees in. I suppose this has been working but the question is - is this a standard practice? The previous owner probably didn't have a vent stack nearby to tie into.
    I also suppose an air admittance valve doesn't work with this set up because air has to be let out of the box as water is filling it. The air admittance valves only work one way.
    I'm sure I'm one in a billion with a sink in the basment -what are the standard practices?

Tony
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 19, 2005, 04:18 PM
    Hey Tony,

You may not vent to a main. Chances are the vent's clogged with crud. Disconnect the vent and cap off the connection. Find a ploace to vent even if toy have to take it out of the basement and run up the side of the house. Just don't terminate it within ten feet of a window or door. Give the new vent slope back to the holding tank and screen the top of the pipe.
    Good luck, Tom
    tlocurcio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2005, 07:05 AM
    Thanks Tom.
    Actually - maybe I misused "main" it's a branch off the main. Basically the only fixtures upstream are a washer and two sinks. It's a 2" branch that ties into the main. There is a bathroom drain / toilet that ties in approx 8' downstream from where this laundry tub is(and steps up to 4" Dia. ).
    The 1-1/2" vent goes over the 2" branch about 2' then ties into it with a lateral.
    This is working - but I wasn't sure if this was a standard practice or OK.
    If not would an AAV work in this case? The concern is how does air get out into the sealed pump box while the sink is draining?

Thanks Again,
    Tony
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 21, 2005, 07:53 AM
    Good morning Tony,

You've put a sump pit vent downstream from a washer discharge plus 2 sinks?

No Tony this isn't a typical vent hook up. A typical hook up is a vent that breathes both in and out. So if the vent is breathing in while a washer discharges or a sink drains your setup would allow the discharge to drain directly back into the holding tank. This is not a good vent configuration.
    You need a dedicated vent out the roof or terminated outside somewhere.
    A AAV won't work since it only allows air tocome in and not to go out. My advice? Vent the tank the right way. Regards, Tom
    kazy_48098 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Good morning Tony,

You've put a sump pit vent downstream from a washer discharge plus 2 sinks?

No Tony this isn't a typical vent hook up. A typical hook up is a vent that breathes both in and out. So if the vent is breathing in while a washer discharges or a sink drains your setup would allow the discharge to drain directly back into the holding tank. This is not a good vent configuration.
    You need a dedicated vent out the roof or terminated outside somewhere.
    A AAV won't work since it only allows air tocome in and not to go out. My advice? Vent the tank the right way. Regards, Tom

Tom, if this is not possible, what else can you do? I have an island in the basement, which has the sink in the island and no way now to vent the pump box. Are there any options?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump. I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which...

Odor when doing laundry [ 3 Answers ]

New here and searched but could not find the answer. Here's my situation. Every time I run my laundry located in the basement I get an odor coming from our sump pit. The laundry water discharges into our utility sink. This sink drains directly to a sump hole. (two sump holes in basement)...

Laundry Sink Vent [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to place a laundry sink in the basement. The location in question is under the kitchen. I can tie into the drain pipe from the kitchen which would run vertically, right next to the laundry sink. However, the nearest point where I could attach a vent line is about twenty feet from...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

View more questions Search