Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SKW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2005, 07:27 AM
    Sewer odor in bathroom
    My mother's bathroom has a sewer odor or some kind of bad odor if not used for a few days. She was able to stop it by putting a towel over the bathtub drain when she left the house. I have put a flat rubber stopper over the drain but it isn't stopping it. Now, it appears after someone opens a door in the house. (Possibly pulling the air past the stopper into the house because of air flow?) I have had 2 different plumbers out to the house but they cannot find anything wrong. She had the sewer line replaced several years ago. It may have started happening after that. Would incorrect placement of the sewer line cause this? It does not happen in the other bathroom. She had the house for thirty years and it has only done it in the last few years
    Thank you for any help you can give me.
    SKW
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 18, 2005, 10:17 AM
    Most bad oders in bathroom drains come from rotting hair mixed with grease from the soap. Try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2 gallon of bleach down the tub drain and let it set overnight. Next morning flush it down with a few large pans of boiling water. The bleach will start to dissolve and soften the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out into the main. Now see if that smelly drain doesn't smell sweeter? Hope this helps. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Gas Odor Problem [ 5 Answers ]

Ranch home with large 2 sink, shower, and toilet master bathroom. Only when it gets cold out, I have problem with backup of septic gas. I live in FL. Toilet is vented to roof. Roof vent is clear. Is it too short? Do I have a sewer line break? Bad seal on toilet? Ordor seems to come from sink and...

Sewer Odor [ 4 Answers ]

I've had a sewer odor from all three toliets in my 2 year old house for about 1 1/2 yrs now. We are on public sewer and the builder is stumped (he hasn't however, been in the house to smell for himself) It seems to get worse when it rains... any suggestions? I'm concerned that my 5 year old son is...

Bathroom Drain Odor [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Having Problems With Odors Coming From Both The Shower And Sink Drains In Two Of My Three Bathrooms. They Are At Opposite Ends Of The House, On Different Septic Tanks. The Strange Thing Is That The Odors Only Happen When It Rains. Even The Slightest Amount Of Rain Will Cause The Odors. I Feel...

Sewer Odor in Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Last week I noticed our toilet had bubbles coming up it for a minute or so... I don't remember if the washing machine was running or not, it seemed strange, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. Now this week, there is a sewer smell in our bathroom, and I swear I can smell it in the room next...

Sewer odor AFTER plumbing work done [ 11 Answers ]

We replaced our sink in tha fall and had trouble with it backing up all the time. We called a plumber and he rerouted our sink to the pipe in the basement that the washing machine is connected to. The old pipe was then removed and capped off. Soon after this we began having a serew odor in...

View more questions Search