Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soundmanwill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Adding bath drain in concrete for existing half bath
    I want to turn a half bath into a full bath in my basement. Currently the washer and dryer along with the water heater are in the half bath along with the commode and sink. I want to add a bath tub and the lay out of the room is such that the tub installation would probably require less work if it were placed where the sink is currently located and try to utilize the current sink drain. I was going to move the sink and vanity to where the washer and dryer currently are use the plumbing for the washer for the sink. My concern and question is this: The bath is on a slab and it appears that the upstairs sink shares the drain pipe for the downstairs sink. Should I build a small riser to place the tub on to accommodate the drain and if I try to use the drain the sink is currently using, will there be a drainage problem from the upstairs sink? Would it be better to cut a channel in the slab to install the tub drain than to try to build that small riser?

I can’t see the route of the drain because it disappears into the bottom plate that is sitting on the slab

Any suggestions?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
    If you can make it work you can connect the tub drain up in a space of about 2 1/2 inches about the concrete, so a riser would not have to be very high. All though the upstairs drain connected into the tub drain might not be up to code it will still work, there might be a chance of the trap water being sucked out of the trap and odor could escape but I think it would be worth a chance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a bathroom or add a shower to existing half bath? [ 1 Answers ]

Of course, I will get someone to come by and get an estimate, but I don't know if I will even be wasting their time. I'd like to get this done under $4000 or so. I also live in a condo, I don't know in general how the average condo association would react to such a thing, but I will soon find out....

Adding a tub to a half bath [ 1 Answers ]

My basement cuttently is rough-in for a 1/2 bath and I want to put a full bath in with a tub. Is there anyway to do this without busting up the concrete or building up the floor? Any help would be great. Ryan Cram

Adding shower to half bath downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, How would I start the rough in for a shower in a downstairs bathroom if I have a crawl space. Also my plumbing is 1/2 inch pvc and is this large enough for incoming water to the shower. I know you don't have my plans or anything, but all I am looking for is some tips. Also, I just want...

Adding a shower to half bath*rough-in question [ 24 Answers ]

Here's the deal... I am going to be adding a shower to an existing 1/2 bath in my basement. The toilet is vented up out of the slab on the other side of the wall,in my utility closet, makes about a 4' run into another wall where it ties into the lav. /washing machines' drain. the lav./washing...

View more questions Search