Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeelyDan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 03:56 PM
    Basement Drain?
    Hello,

I have a new house, less than a year old. In the basement, the furnace and hot water tank are beside each other. In front and between them is a drain.

Over the last week or so, I have noticed a puddle of water around the drain. It travels to the base of the furnace. There is nothing around the water tank. There is water surrounding the base of the furnace, though mostly just moisture - the real water is around the drain.

I shone a flashlight in the drain and can see water. Is this normal? Is it backed up? Do I need to snake it?

I do have a disposal in the main floor kitchen, could this be the cause?

I am a DIY rookie, any help would be more than appreciated.

-Neely
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 04:16 PM
    The water in your drain is supposed to be there so no worries there. The water in your trap creates a barrier keeping out sewer gasses that would otherwise come up through the drain.

I don't really know what the water under the furnace could be about, I'm kind of curious to hear what speedball or one of the other experts has to say though... I might learn something! Condensation overflowing the pan maybe?

As for the water around your hotwater tank, is not so good you
    If water were to sit under your hot water tank for a period it could rust and corrode the feet on the tank until they gave way, which could be pretty costly especially if your tank is high efficiency natural gas.
    I kept mine off the basement floor by pouring a 6" concrete pad just in case, but as long as you keep an eye on the water you shouldn't have to go to that extreme.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 11, 2005, 06:02 AM
    Big Kill was correct. The water that you see in the bottom of your floor drain is the trap seal.
    You have failed to inform us very much about your furnace. Hot air" hot water? Is there a hot water "furnace coil" from the heater involved?
    Let's take a look at another possible source. Look at the line from the T & P,(Temperature and Pressure) valve on your heater. Where does it terminate?
    Outside? To a pan under the heater? Or does it just point twards the floor?
    Do you have a cold water check valve on the heater supply or a backflow preventer outside near the meter? Is there a expansion tank connected to the cold water supply to the heater?
    On another note. If your house is less the a year old it should still be covered by a builders warranty. Why not just let them hassle with the problem?
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement drain backup [ 11 Answers ]

I only have one floor drain in my basement, and it is near the hot water heater and the sump. I have a septic system also. I noticed some water around the floor drain, about 3' in diameter. I thought that my sump pump had failed, but when I lifted the bulb it worked. There wasn't enough water in...

Basement drain backing up [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, my name is April. I recently purchased my house almost 2 years ago,(house is over 50 years old, I think) I learn 3 days into moving into my house that the basement flooded. It was due to a heavy rain fall but shortly after that the drains would back up in the basement, like the laundry...

Basement drain, Where's it go? [ 3 Answers ]

My basement drain was set up as a basic shower drain, only much larger, (about the size of septic pipe). Does this go into the septic or just a drain field? THanks

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

My basement floor has no floor drain. I am concerned that if there is a water event like a hot water heater rupture the basement will flood. What is the best way to install a floor drain for the basement? I have busted up some of the slab because I am adding a bathroom in the basement. Have you...

Basement tub drain? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom in my basement with a sink, toilet and shower. The shower is draining in to a floor drain. I want to pull out the shower and put in a Jacuzzi tub, my question is how do I connect to the existing drain? I'm guessing that just dumping the tub in to the floor drain is a bad idea ...

View more questions Search