Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rwbell Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Replacing old shower drain
    I am remodeling my bathroom and retiling the shower. It was build in the early '80's and there is no shower pan. I seems to be just mortar/concrete (not sure which) in a recession in the concrete slab. I have already removed all the tile and sheet rock. I plan to go back with the concrete mortarboard and want to place a shower pan membrane liner. My problem is the old drain is only one piece and will not accept the liner membrane. It is PVC. Will I have to bust out the concrete around the drain and cut the PVC to put the new drain on? Is there an easier way? As far as I could tell there were no leaks in the floor area, but then again this shower is a guest bedroom and is not used very often.

Thanks

Randy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 30, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rwbell
    I am remodeling my bathroom and retiling the shower. It was build in the early '80's and there is no shower pan. I seems to be just mortar/concrete (not sure which) in a recession in the concrete slab. I have already removed all the tile and sheet rock. I plan to go back with the concrete mortarboard and want to place a shower pan membrane liner. My problem is the old drain is only one piece and will not accept the liner membrane. It is PVC. Will I have to bust out the concrete around the drain and cut the PVC to put the new drain on? Is there an easier way? As far as i could tell there were no leaks in the floor area, but then again this shower is a guest bedroom and is not used very often.

thanks

Randy
    Hi Randy, No shower pan's needed when you have a slab dap-out. However, if you wish to install a shower pan you must first remove the old drain and install a flange type shower drain,(see image). Once again, a shower pan isn't required with a slab dap-out. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Shower Drain [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am replacing my shower floor and walls with new tile. The home was built in 1977 and the concrete sub floor is in good shape and can be worked with. I will be laying in a new pan membrane, wonder board, and mortar bed accordingly. My concern is the floor drain. I am not sure what it is...

Replacing drain in a tile shower [ 4 Answers ]

My 50 year old tile shower drain has a lead pipe leading to the waste stack. The lead pipe has corroded at the base of the drain and is leaking. I chipped away the tile around the drain and see that there is a 2.5 inch diameter hole going through the shower mortar base leading into the lead...

View more questions Search