Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JfromNJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 11:22 AM
    How to join copper tubing to iron pipe
    I have gas/hot water heating system with radiators. I want to replace the iron pipe mains with copper tubing and adapt to the iron risers going up to the radiators. Is there a fitting to adapt unthreaded iron pipe to copper?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 26, 2007, 12:22 PM
    You would need to use dielectric unions. Plumbing System Components - The Dielectric Union
    This would prevent the corrosion that would happen with these two dissimilar metals.
    JfromNJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Thank you ballengerb1. The dielectric union will solve part of my problem. I am more interested inknowing if there is an adpter for copper to unthreaded iron pipe. The risers leading up to the radiators hang too low in the basement. I would like to just cut them at ceiling height and adapt to new copper there. I want to avoid either replacing the risers with shorter nipples or cutting and re-threading the risers.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 26, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Sorry, don't know of a good away around your situation. The unions I've used would require rethreading the galvanized pipe but that's no big issue for me because I have the tools. You can rent the equipment for a few hours for about $15. Obviously the copper side of the union can be soldered.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Maybe check out the Shark-Bite connectors. I think the 3/4'' ones would join 3/4'' copper to unthreaded 1/2'' iron. Check the directions. Ace Hardware has them plus plumbing supplies. I haven't seen them at the big box stores.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper VS IRON pipe [ 2 Answers ]

?? Which is better for above ground and below ground Copper or Iron pipe?

Iron pipe vs copper tubing for gas lines, cost [ 2 Answers ]

We want to have a dryer connected in a new area of the house. One Plumber told us it must now be steel pipe with threaded couplings--cannot be copper tubing. Is this valid? Why? What should it cost to run about 60 ft of connection line?

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

Fixed PB tubing/copper pipe union [ 1 Answers ]

Re Polybutylene tubing, threaded transition union. Thx speedball for your help. I have cut out 4" of the leaking union and replaced it with 2 5/8" compression unions attached to a 4" 1/2" copper pipe. The PB tubing also incorporated a copper insert with the compression fitting. I know you...

View more questions Search