Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bstm23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2005, 06:39 AM
    CPVC v/s copper for new shower install
    I'm currently installing a shower in my basement and everything has went smoothly so far. My question is, does it matter whether you use copper lines or CPVC line as the water feed lines on a new install? (By that I also mean between the shower head and the faucet)

Most showers I've seen in the past have had the copper lines but I was hoping to get by with using the PVC line since I have more experience with that than the soldering of copper lines. My house is 4 years old and the entire water system uses the PVC lines. The only problem I foresee in the future looks like maybe the rubber gasket used between the PVC and copper union fitting?

Can anyone give me some other possible problems or perhaps some reassurance in using the PVC.

Thanks in advance
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2005, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bstm23
    I'm currently installing a shower in my basement and everything has went smoothly so far. My question is, does it matter whether you use copper lines or CPVC line as the water feed lines on a new install? (By that I also mean between the shower head and the faucet)

Most showers I've seen in the past have had the copper lines but I was hoping to get by with using the PVC line since I have more experience with that than the soldering of copper lines. My house is 4 years old and the entire water system uses the PVC lines. The only problem I foresee in the future looks like maybe the rubber gasket used between the PVC and copper union fitting?

Can anyone give me some other possible problems or perhaps some reassurance in using the PVC.

Thanks in advance
    If you're more comfortable with plastic then copper then go with CPVC.

"The only problem I foresee in the future looks like maybe the rubber gasket used between the PVC and copper union fitting?"

If you're referring to a dielectric union you won't need one between copper and plastic. Good luck, Tom
    dbmarlin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 09:26 AM

I recently had new hot and cold copper lines replaced. Soldering was involved. The water tastes like either copper, solder or both. Is this dangerous? How long willl it last? How do I get rid of the taste?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2010, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmarlin View Post
    i recently had new hot and cold copper lines replaced. Soldering was involved. The water tastes like either copper, solder or both. Is this dangerous? How long willl it last? How do I get rid of the taste?
    You're tasting is the acid in the flux. Pull and clean all aerators and then simply run and flush the system. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper to cpvc threaded connections [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can I connect cpvc threaded pipe adapters directly to corresponding male or female threaded copper adapters, and, using suitable pipe dope, get good reliable joints? I know there are threaded copper-to-glue cpvc conversion connectors available, but I have on hand a number of copper and cpvc...

How to install a shower/tub on a slab? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1/2 bath in my basement (toilet and sink). House built in 1964. I would like to add a fiberglass shower/tub combo, however, there is no drain for a shower or tub. How difficult is it to cut the slab to allow installation of the drain line? -The shower/tub drain would be 6 ft. from the...

Soldering copper pipe to shower valve [ 10 Answers ]

I have a shower valve body (brass) and am trying to solder copper pipe to it. For the life of me I can't seem to get the pipe and fitting hot enough to melt the solder. I noticed soldering copper pipe to the drop elbow took more flame heat than normal. Is there some trick when soldering copper...

New shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a shower in a room next to where there is an existing toilet and sink. My question is on venting the new shower. I have access to the basement area, can I hook up the shower drain to the existing sink drain in the basement area. Will this properly vent the new shower? The...

Best way to install fixed shower head and personal shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower setup. I want to install a fixed shower head as well as a hand held personal shower with hose. On the Kohler website they sell a diverter valve with some sort of backflow valve for this purpose. I have a friend who just had this done and he has no diverter valve just...

View more questions Search