Ask
    oddreyes48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Water hammer
    How do I fix the problem "water hammer"
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Depends, what kind of pipe? Where is the noise? Is it a loud thump or more like a ratatatat ? Does it do it with the toilet stops turned off?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2007, 10:54 PM
    Water hammer happens when you turn OFF a water flow suddenly!!

I think the best way to explain this is at a washing machine there are 2 valves

The hot and cold water valves should have a tee that has a valve out from wall

There should be a pipe that extends up above the tee, about 1 foot and is capped

When washer needs water the valve in washer opens and fills machine

When the valve shuts off water tries to rush into hammer

But it meets an air pocket that silences the noise

Water Hammer & Plumbing Pipe Noises

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water hammer [ 1 Answers ]

What causes water lines to vibrate when no water is being used, taps not being used? It started 2 years ago, only when upstairs bath tub was being used, two days ago it started and vibrates 5 to 7 times an hour.. We may have a water leak behind the bar wall Will take down wall next week.

Water hammer needs to stop [ 1 Answers ]

I have read several entries on this subject but... When lavetory and kitchen hot water faucets turned on, banging plastic pipes. Four year old house, electric water heater, 3/4 pipe to 1/2 feeders (all HC-SOR II, CPVC), pipes are very securly fastened to joists. City water with house pressure set...

Water hammer question [ 4 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet, use the shower, or run the washing machine, there is a loud screaching/moaning noise coming from my prv. I can even feel the vibration in the cold water pipe in my garage. I assume this is water hammer. The guy at Lowe's said I needed an anti-water hammer device so I...

Water Hammer Effect [ 1 Answers ]

Newbiehomeowner New Member Join Date: Oct 2005 Posts: 25 Water Hammer Effect -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a question for you and an update on my backing up toilet problems of a few months ago. When my short cycling well...

Water Hammer [ 1 Answers ]

I have what appears to be water hammer in a 18 yr old home. Water arrestors (the blue oil can) are installed. From what I've read, it seems like the solution is to remove the air from the water lines starting with shutting off the main water valve, then draining the pipes. If this is true, then...

View more questions Search