Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gandalf_the_gray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2005, 02:03 PM
    Plumbing - 1st floor sink backs up in sink below
    I have a 1st floor kitchen sink directly above a basement sink. When the 1st floor sink is full, it drains quickly and backs up in the sink below - which then drains relatively quickly. No other problems here - the dishwasher drains fine, general use is fine - it's only when there's a full sink of water going down that it backs up.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 31, 2005, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gandalf_the_gray
    I have a 1st floor kitchen sink directly above a basement sink. When the 1st floor sink is full, it drains quickly and backs up in the sink below - which then drains relatively quickly. No other problems here - the dishwasher drains fine, general use is fine - it's only when there's a full sink of water going down that it backs up.
    You're partially clogged in the drain line downstream from the basement sink.
    To clear this line you must snake the from the kitchen roof vent. Put our enough cable to get down to the bend at the base and about 20 to 25 feet more to get from the branch to the main. While it drains away now this will only get worse. Better to take care of it now. Good luck, Tom
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2005, 02:50 PM
    It's a partial clog at some point past where the basement sink goes into the line the kitchen sink drains into.

You'll want to snake it from where the basement sink drain goes into the wall or floor.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2005, 02:52 PM
    Lol, speedball1, you hit submit a moment before me :p
    (I'm not a "repeat the answer for points guy")
    Happy snaking, Gandalf!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink, pipes from floor [ 12 Answers ]

Hello. I just moved into a new apartment and find the bathroom sink vanity in terrible condition. I want to replace it, but see that the three pipes for water and drainage come up out of the floor (when you open the vanity doors you see the pipes going up from the floor to the basin)--instead...

Kitchen sink plumbing/vent problem [ 6 Answers ]

good morning to all! I have a question that I hope someone can answer.I have an older modular home that we've decided to upgrade the kitchen in.I'm installing new cabinets and a new sink and also have decided to add a dishwasher next to the sink base cabinet.my problem is that the vent that goes...

Kitchen Sink w/sprayer hose plumbing diagram [ 1 Answers ]

I need a detailed diagram of how a sprayer hose is connected to the kitchen sink plumbing. I have looked everywhere but can't seem to find one that actually shows the sprayer hose and how is connected to the plumbing under the kitchen sink. I have found several that mention the sprayer hose but...

Sink backs up only when disposal is on [ 1 Answers ]

I have just moved into a condo built in 1974 that has a double kitchen sink with disposal. The water drains fine through both drains when running the water or draining a filled sink, but when I run the disposal, it backs up in the other sink. I have a dishwasher that is seldom used connected to the...

Washer Rinse Water Backs Up in Kitchen Sink [ 5 Answers ]

My washing machine rinse water backs up into my double kitchen sink and my wonderful plumber is stumped. I'm only able to wash a mini load (which fills up both sinks) as a medium or large load causes my kitchen sinks to overflow. It's been doing this for over a year now and I'm tired of living with...

View more questions Search