Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slatta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 05:23 AM
    Toilet will not flush
    Hello could someone help me my toilet will not flush. The tank will fill after you pu;;ed the handle a few times.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Aug 12, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Open the tank lid, and see if the flapper needs to be adjusted or if it's broken somehow.

XenoSapien
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Could be the flapper chain or plastic strap that goes from the handle to the flapper.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 12, 2007, 06:33 PM
    If You Have To Pull The Flapper To Get It To Flush, What's Happening Is The Flapper Isn't Sealing, And All The Water Is Leaking Out To Fast For The Tank To Fill. Either Adjust The Flapper. Its Most Likely A Few Years Old , Or Just Replace It, It's a Simple Fix
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 05:40 AM
    If you are off a well, and not public water, you could have a build up of deposits. Open the tank lid. Check the seal of the flapper (if you don't know anything about toilets it is the piece of plastic that covers the hole where the water comes from). If you have a lot of build up, it is interfering with the seal of the flapper. Clean out the toilet tank and clean the seal around the flapper. The smartest thing to do would be to replace the flapper completely. Very inexpensive and easy to fix. Since it does seem to eventually fill up when you flush it a few times, I don't think it is the chain or the lever (the plastic strap that is attached to the chain). If either were broken, the flapper would just sit in place and water would not fill the tank, unless either piece is starting to deteriorate and haven't completely broken off. If that is the case, you can purchase a lever kit, another inexpensive item, and replace the lever and chain.

The following is link to a web site that identifies the names of the parts that you find in your toilet tank. what are parts toilet tank
    If the problem is a part we haven't mentioned, please post back with more detail as to which part appears to be broken, and we will help you further.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 14, 2007, 06:50 AM
    All good answers but Slatta needs to be much more specific if we want to pin this down. "the tank will fill after you pu;;ed the handle a few times." I'm wondering why the tanks needs to fill if it never flushed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flush [ 17 Answers ]

I flushed the toilet, the water goes down from the tank, but it swirls around and around in the toilet bowl but does not flush. What is the problem. Help.

Toilet non flush [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, We live in a 1976 bi-level.. recebntly in the past two or three years we have noticed that our toilet will not flush up stairs if we are using the washer... If we go away for several days the toilet takes two or three flushes before it will totally flush the whole way... By this I mean you...

Toilet won't flush [ 1 Answers ]

Hi we have a sloan Flush mate toilet we bought about 2 years ago at first it flushed really good but now you have to flush it two or three times just to get the paper down what do I need to do to fix the Problem? Thanks, ...

Toilet won't flush [ 6 Answers ]

Our toilet will not flush all the way. We tried shortening and lengthening the chain and that did not help. It looks like the flapper is closing too soon. How can I fix this? Or Do you think this is even the problem?

Toilet flush [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I flush my toiet cistern, it makes a load groaning noise sounds like there is an airlock. This can be stopped by turning the cold tap on full in the kitchen. How do I stop this problem?? I live in a flat if this makes a difference. Many thanks

View more questions Search