Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wayno2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2007, 08:42 AM
    P trap drain access plug
    What is the best way to get out an access plug that is located at the tops and side of the P trap drain? It is a brass plug that has a square head that is about .75 x .75. The plug has never been out. I sprayed it with penetrant spray. Not enough room to get a pipe wrench on it. I tried a regular open end wrench and it does not loosen.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Leave the plug alone and buy a regular new p trap
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Are you talking about a trap that is a floor drain or a trap that is under a sink?
    If it is a floor drain trap you might try removing all of the water from around the plug and then heating the plug, sometimes this will break the bond and let you unscrew the plug.
    If this is not in concrete and under a sink, do as Doug said and replace the trap.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno2
    What is the best way to get out an access plug that is located at the tops and side of the P trap drain? It is a brass plug that has a square head that is about .75 x .75. The plug has never been out. I sprayed it with penetrant spray. Not enough room to get a pipe wrench on it. I tried a regular open end wrench and it does not loosen.
    This sounds like a brass clean out plug in a cast iron floor drain. If the drain's clogged you can snake the trap and branch without having to remove the plug by going down the trap. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno2
    Wayno2, when someone gives you an answer in one of their post they would appreciate it if you gave them some kind of an answer whether it helped or not, that way we can lay our heads on our pillow at night and have the fulfilled feeling that we accomplished something this day.
    Just kidding but we would l8ike to know if our answers did anything for you.
    beenaroundtheblock Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Aug 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
    I agree with letmetellu heat around it but be careful don't burn the place down.
    Wayno2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 08:11 AM
    I ended up chiseling out the brass plug and snaking the line. The drain now works. I replaced the brass plug with a rubber one.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Thanks for the reply. At least we now know that your problem is solved for the time being.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning drain trap [ 4 Answers ]

Tom, could you please again post the method you use for cleaning drains? I remember a mixture of bleach followed by boiling water, but not the details. Thanks...

Shower Drain Trap [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a shower where a bathtub used to exist and the shower drain, including reduction fittings require me to drop the existing trap by 2.75inches. Are there any issues having a trap that drops 6inches? Thanks, Adam

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Trap on a washer drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to install a trap on the washer drain pipe that is connected to the main sewer line. The washer drain runs down 2 feet and across 3 feet. Will the trap work correctly if it does not have a tight seal where the drain hose meets the drain pipe. Will I have a problem with water backing up...

Trap for washer drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bad smell behind our washer. After much research, I am beginning to think that it is coming from the washer drain pipe. Is it possible that it is sewer gas coming back up through the pipe? Do washer drain pipes have traps? We live on a slab. We have the wall ripped out behind the washer...

View more questions Search