Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maxwell_e Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Crooked cast iron drain pipe
    I have a shower unit in the basement which began leaking when I started using it last year. I tried replacing the drain but that only stopped the leaking for a few weeks. It leaks steadily when in use, under the shower base, under the studs and into the laundry room.

The entire shower unit was installed 10 years ago, by a handyman I knew a while back. I suppose I was asking for it, but please bear with me here.

The drain I purchased trying to fix the problem was plastic with rubber gasket that fits over the cast iron pipe. The cast iron pipe sticking out of the concrete bathroom floor is crooked. My guess is 10-15 degrees off from being completely vertical. This is probably the source of the problem.

The rubber gasket probably lost the snug fit over the crooked cast iron drain pipe. It was never a good fit in the first place. Imagine a 2 inch diameter gasket between a plastic drain and a cast iron drain pipe, then turning the cast iron drain about 15 degrees from vertical.

The other item I tried to fix at the same time was the wooden flooring under the plastic shower base. It was a makeshift bunch of 2x4's, leaving big gaps. I added some 2x4's, but still there are gaps under the shower base rather than a continuous board under the plastic shower base. Probably standing on the shower causes the base to shift unless secured, I figure.

I've tried various silicone and flexible seals, to no avail. Then there is plumber's epoxy, which I haven't tried on the drain. It dries almost rock hard, and is the best leak fixer on other projects I've used to date. I'm hesitant to use the plumber's epoxy since the epoxy dries hard and solid and would be difficult to remove in case the shower had to be completely erased.

So the question is, is there a way of fixing this without calling a plumber?

Thanks for any help/comments.

Maxwell
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 23, 2007, 07:25 AM
    I think you have analyzed you problem correctly. The shower raiser being not vertical will not allow the gasket to seat properly. Sorry, but there's just no easy fix for this. The cement will have to come up and the raiser straightened out before the drain will seat. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing cast iron drain pipe? [ 6 Answers ]

Put in a dishwasher and was working on the drain when I noticed the 2" cast iron drain pipe wasnt in very good shape. I spliced it with a sawzall ans the put pvc in and tried to use a boot on each end but it still leaks. Then from the cutting another joint in it started to leak. Ive decided its...

Washing machine drain pipe overflows -- cast iron? [ 1 Answers ]

Our washing machine drain overflows each time the machine drains -- I have snaked, used a pressure cuff with the garden hose, and tried Drano. The drain pipe is cast iron from the 1950s -- I'm wondering whether it has just corroded inside to the point that the internal diameter is partially...

Crooked Drain Pipe into Caulkless Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a new shower pan and the drain pipe comes into the Oatey caulkless drain at a slight angle. The rubber ring fits over the pvs pipe and I am able to tighten down the compression ring. Am I okay or do I have a potential problem??

PVC or Cast Iron Drain Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My Drain Pipe outside the house has been damaged severely by tree roots. Will it be better to replace it wit PVC or Cast Iron? What are the advantages and Disadvantages of using Cast Iron?

Pvc and cast iron pipe [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove pvc threaded coupling from rusted cast iron pipe? Want to be able to reinstall new pvc coupling in cast iron pipe. Thanks in advanced.

View more questions Search