Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lwyer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 05:30 AM
    How do I change an outside water faucet?
    I have an exterior faucet that is leaking badly. Water is coming from the faucet handle, not further back. I have tried to remove the screw from the faucet face, but wonder if I should just use a wrench and remove the whole thing from the pipe? Do I need to cut off the water supply first? Looks simple, maybe not?
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 21, 2007, 06:03 AM
    If it is a very old faucet, replace it--yes, cut-off the water supply to the faucet.

XenoSapien
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2007, 06:38 AM
    You really should be able to unscrew the nut and replace the packing underneath. Once you have it apart, you should be able to go to a good hardware store and buy the correct packing. Does it just screw onto a pipe sticking through the wall, or is it a frost proof one extending inside? Either way, with the water shut off, you should be able to remove it and replace it. It might be easier to get a new frost proof one started if you have access to the joint inside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky water from faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a manufactured house by patriot and in the master bath, I rarely use the sink. When I do use the sink, the water, not the drain smells like sewage, but only the cold water. I use the bathtub in this bathroom but I don't have any problem with the water there. What could be causing this...

Water suppressor needed on lavatory faucet and shower faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

Are water suppressors needed in the bathroom sink faucet and the shower stub out also? And can you just use a length of pipe on a T, or must you use those copper chambers? (cpvc system) thanks

No water from the upstairs hot water faucet [ 1 Answers ]

What happened: I turned up the heat on the water heater in our rental house (from "Warm" to the spot between "Warm" and "Hot"). The faucet in the tub spout out some slippery water and some crumbly black bits, but it had a nice heavy flow of hot water. The slime-feel and bits went away. All...

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

New sink faucet but water won't come out [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a new sink, facuet and supply water lines. When I turned on the water for first time water came out for a few seconds then stopped. I diconnected the water lines from the faucet and the water comes out fine but when I hook them back up to the faucet no water will come out. Any...

View more questions Search