Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aanji Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Replacing two supply lines with one
    Where can I find a table showing flow volume for water pipe? I'm replacing two iron 3/4" pipes with a single line - a second floor bath & I"m replacing the hot/cold with just a cold supply then splitting and doing a point of use water heater.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aanji
    Where can I find a table showing flow volume for water pipe? I'm replacing two iron 3/4" pipes with a single line - a second floor bath & I"m replacing the hot/cold with just a cold supply then splitting and doing a point of use water heater.
    Well, it isn't as easy as all that.

Sizing a potable water system is much more involved.

A few variable a Plumber is required by code to consider are:

1) Pressure at the source/meter.

2) Distance from source/meter to fixture.

3) Pipe size of source/meter.

4) Elevation from source/meter to fixture.

And then of course each fixture is assigned a 'fixture unit number' depending on it's maximum draw.

It's basically an equation where you add up the fixture units being served and then use a chart that takes in the above numbered variables.

And if you're really anal about it, like I am, you also throw in the variable of friction loss added to the equation with each 90 degree change of direction.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 16, 2007, 10:00 AM
    ♦Water Pipe Size
    This is the message:

Hello Speedball - I have a pretty simple question. What would you use to replace
    Two 3/4" water supply lines. My guess is that 1 1/2" is too much.. .
    I'm combining supplies to an upstairs bath, thinking I'll split and run the hot
    Line to a tankless heater. The house is circa 1888 and existing pipes are iron,
    I'll run PEX.
    Thanks, aanji
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 16, 2007, 10:06 AM
    If all you're supplying is three fixtures then I would keep the mains at v3/4". Our codes call for a 3/4" main with 1/2" branch with no more then three fixtures on a 1/2" branch. However, you might wish to run 1" up to the heater takeoff tee. Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    If all you're supplying is three fixtures then I would keep the mains at v3/4". Our codes call for a 3/4" main with 1/2" branch with no more then three fixtures on a 1/2" branch. However, you might wish to run 1" up to the heater takeoff tee. Good luck, Tom
    >sticks out tongue<

Would you still recommend only 1" if the outlet of his source/meter is 3/4", the pressure at the source/meter is 35PSI, the distance from source/meter to the fixtures is in excess of 300 feet with a vertical rise of 45" from source/meter to the fixtures?

And one more fly in the ointment -- What would you recommend if his waterline is only a 3/4" feed?

>chuckles<

And what would you recommend if all of the above applied and one of the fixtures was a jetted whirlpool tub?

Sorry, this recently came up, and I had to turn a job down when the customer balked at installing a storage tank and pressurizing pump in his basement.:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using PEX for water supply lines [ 14 Answers ]

I am thinking about using PEX lines for my new basement bathroom. Are there different grades of PEX and if so which should I use. Is the PEX that a Home Depot or Lowe's sell any good. Thanks

Moving Toilet and Supply Lines [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I began what I thought was a weekend project to update my cramped, ugly 70's bathroom that has peeling vinyl floors and moldy sink on ugly vanity. I ripped out the vanity to find a nightmare of plumbing! It looks like I will need to move all supply lines, cut apart the drain to reposition...

PEX supply lines - keep from freezing [ 6 Answers ]

I am adding a 1/2 bath to the upstairs of our 170 year old cape and am considering the best route to run my PEX supply lines. Because there have been several additions and alterations to the house over the years, there are oddities in the structure that make it difficult to describe my situation...

Cpvc supply lines - securing before drywall? [ 1 Answers ]

An odd question, I have framed my new laundry/half bath in the basement, all eelctrical ready to go and am ready to extend the plastic water supply lines for the future toilet/vanity. Question though, with this type of supply pipe, is there a need to secure it similar to pictures I have seen of...

Can I run Supply lines in outside wall [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NJ and am remodeling a bath. Can I run my supply lines to the shower in an outside wall? If so any recommendations or hints concerning this?

View more questions Search