Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catharus75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2005, 04:00 PM
    Kitchen sink still won't drain
    After buying an old house, the kitchen sink didn't drain well, and since it wasn't hooked up to any "stink pipes" I added a Nonavent downstream of the trap, which draws air from above the trap. This worked great, but, after several months the good drainage ceased, and has become even worse than before. I suspect that the Nonavent has for whatever reason stopped working properly after 6 months or so. However, it could be that the vent is not high enough (since it's below the sink), or that the Nonavent doesn't work properly at a 45-degree angle. Any ideas for a better vent product, or better design. Would extending the vent to the top of the sink alleviate the prolem? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2005, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catharus75
    After buying an old house, the kitchen sink didn't drain well, and since it wasn't hooked up to any "stink pipes" I added a Nonavent downstream of the trap, which draws air from above the trap. This worked great, but, after several months the good drainage ceased, and has become even worse than before. I suspect that the Nonavent has for whatever reason stopped working properly after 6 months or so. However, it could be that the vent is not high enough (since it's below the sink), or that the Nonavent doesn't work properly at a 45-degree angle. Any ideas for a better vent product, or better design. Would extending the vent to the top of the sink alleviate the prolem? Thanks.
    I can't pull specs on a "Nonavent" AAV. Who manufactures it? If this is a Studor Vent it must be installed vertically. The height of installation doesn't make any difference since it's a one way valve. Perhaps the drain line needs to be snaked and cleared. Good luck Tom
    catharus75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2005, 07:13 PM
    Reply to speedball
    Hi tom,
    Nonavent is the name on the part - that's all I know re manufacturer. It's a simple one-way part with a ~ 1 inch thin rubber inside of the air holes. So, as you suggest, these only work when installed vertically? When I installed it, I didn't think that would matter, assuming that the force of the vaccuum would be much greater than any gravity-related forces. However, if adding an extra 45 will fix it, I'll be on that ASAP.
    - Can you confirm that what I have is the Studor vent? Thanks, Jay
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 14, 2005, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catharus75
    hi tom,
    Nonavent is the name on the part - that's all I know re manufacturer. It's a simple one-way part with a ~ 1 inch thin rubber inside of the air holes. So, as you suggest, these only work when installed vertically? When I installed it, I didn't think that would matter, assuming that the force of the vaccuum would be much greater than any gravity-related forces. However, if adding an extra 45 will fix it, I'll be on that ASAP.
    - Can you confirm that what I have is the Studor vent? thanks, Jay

Good morning Jay,
    To see a Studor Vent click on, http://www.studor.com/homeowners.htm
    And read the explanations listed at the bottom of the page and then get back to me. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink drain [ 6 Answers ]

Maybe someone can help me figure out a new way to drain the kitchen sink. I have installed a new kitchen sink along with a garbage disposal. I am having problems with the drainage system. The drain is horizontal and is at a higher level than the discharge drain to the garbage disposal. Basically...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen Sink Won't Drain [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 1400 Sq Ft. House, on a Slab. Built in the late 1950's. We just recently had a problem occur on Dec. 22nd, my wife called me at work and said the main bathroom toilet just flooded from underneath the stool. She was just in there cleaning the bathroom. Then went and started a load of...

Kitchen sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

I dropped my earring down the kitchen sink. Anyway, I proceeded to take the drain pipes apart to find it. My earring was long gone. I put the pipes back together, and now the water won't go down. It takes about a 1/2 hour to drain. Can you help?

Kitchen sink won't drain [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 70 year old house in the country. The kitchen sink often runs slow, especially after a rain. I have tried drain opener, plunging and running a hose down the pipe. The only thing that works is spraying the hose down the drain when the sink is full. When I do that it will drain, but...

View more questions Search