Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    derekwwp Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 12:14 AM
    Allowable backwash line discharge for a water softner
    My city has adopted the 2003 edition of the International Building Code which I cannot locate online. I had a contractor install a water softner in my garage for which they ran a backwash line into my attic and ran it into my 2nd bathroom vent pipe (securing with electrical tape- see attached picture). I am wondering whether using a vent pipe running through the attic for a water discharge is consistent with plumbing code. The vent pipe leaked and has damaged my home, so the answer may help me decide whether I or the contractor is responsible for the damage. I would greatly appreciate a response.

Derek
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by derekwwp
    My city has adopted the 2003 edition of the International Building Code which I cannot locate online.
    It can be purchased from Amazon.

I had a contractor install a water softner in my garage for which they ran a backwash line into my attic and ran it into my 2nd bathroom vent pipe (securing with electrical tape- see attached picture).
    Yeah, not a very pretty picture.

I am wondering whether using a vent pipe running through the attic for a water discharge is consistent with plumbing code.
    No, it isn't consistent with Plumbing code -- It should have been run to a floor drain, a floor sink, an evaporator pan or an indirect drain.

The vent pipe leaked and has damaged my home, so the answer may help me decide whether I or the contractor is responsible for the damage. I would greatly appreciate a response.
    Well, I have to ask -- Did the installer offer any of the above mentioned options for the discharge, and if so, did you turn down those options because of the increased cost it would add to the installation?

Was the installer a licensed Plumber or an accredited installer for the softener manufacturer?
    derekwwp Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 12:24 AM
    I didn't think it was up to code. No, no options were offered. I didn't even realize that they installed the drain in that manner. I had not been in the attic since the install, and, probably in poor judgment, assumed that it had been run into some appropriate drain.

The installer is a licensed plumber and is an accredited installer for the sotner. They were subcontracted by Lowe's where I purchased the softner, so Lowe's is contractually on the hook for damages caused by an installation that is not performed "in a good or workmanlike manner." Do you have the code, and if so, could you tell me what provision the installation violated?

Thank you very much for your help and feedback.
    adlowe Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Is it even legal to discharge the softener's backwash into the sewage line?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 11, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adlowe
    Is it even legal to discharge the softener's backwash into the sewage line?
    Not in my area. In my area it's illegal to discharge rainwater run off, AC condensate, sump pump discharge, pool backwash or water softener backwash into the public sewer system.
    The reason being that the utility has to process the water the same as sewerage and that raises utility bills and the extra input puts a strain on the system. Your hookup would be red tagged by my inspectors.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pool backwash line into clean-out? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an in-ground pool that we put in this summer. Out by the front porch we have a sewer/drain clean-out pipe sticking up. My question is... would it be OK to plumb the backwash line from my pool filter to this pipe? To utilize it as a drain? I was thinking that I could put a check valve on...

Water softner drain [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a kenmore water softner and need to hook up the drain connection and overflow. Next to the softner is a 2" pvc pipe coming from my kitchen sink. This pipe goes directly into the house sewer connection. Is it OK to hook the softner drain and overflow directly into the pipe coming...

Water Softner not Draining [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore(sears) water softner that is about 7 years old. Over the past year it has been acting up and will not provide soft water. Lately it has been so bad that when you shower it feels like it stips all the oil from your skin. As before I looked into the softner and it is 3/4 full of...

Water softner not softening [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all - I have a water softener question. I have a two piece water softener (one for salt storage, the other with the beads in it). I recently cleaned out my salt storage tank since it was empty. I did this by removing the valve/float assembly that runs down the hollow tube, took the salt...

Water Softner Problems [ 11 Answers ]

I recently installed all new plumbing with all new drain lines. The previous owner put a new kenmore water softner 3 years ago. It works every now and then. The water smells bad and I know that it has something to with the water softner. Lets put it this way... I bought the house 1 year ago and...

View more questions Search