Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dhrobertson Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Switch won't operate ceiling fan and light
    I've found a few responses that seem to address my ceiling fan dilemma, but can't figure out exactly how to resolve this issue and this is just the first one. I've recently purchased a home and have been replacing ceiling fans that didn't work properly. The first issue is with the ceiling fan in the master bedroom - it won't operate with the wall switch, which didn't seem to work before. When I removed the old fan there were two sets of wires - 2 black, 2 white and 2 grounds. I connected the 2 black to the black and blue wires from the ceiling fan, the 2 whites to the white on the ceiling fan and the grounds to the green as it had been previously wired. Apparently the old fan wasn't wired correctly. Short of hiring an electrician, what is the simplest way to solve the wiring question. How do I determine which white and/or black wires need to be connected? Thanks in advance.
    derekwwp Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 02:20 AM
    Use a volt meter to see if the switch is effectively controlling the power in the ceiling fan wires. Maybe it does not, or maybe the switch is where the problem is. Sounds like you wired the fan properly.

Derek
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Did the old fan work at all? Does the current fan work at all? I agree a voltmeter will be very helpful.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Jul 11, 2007, 01:04 PM
    The old ceiling fan operated using the pull chains but not all of the bulb sockets worked. The replacement fan operates in the same way - pull chains not the wall switch. The wall switch didn't work, which is why it was replaced. I plan to pick up a voltmeter this weekend and check the switch. If anyone has any other suggestions, please share. I'm learning as I go.

Thanks for the responses so far.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Ok, not all of the bulb sockets doesn't have anything to do with the ceiling wiring. The switch not working might be the wiring-- what type of switch is it?

Are there any wires in the ceiling box?

Jul 12, 2007, 06:37 PM
    The switch is a basic light switch with a ground, a white wire and a black wire. The ceiling box contains two sets of wires each having a black, a white and a ground. Not realizing that there was a problem, I wired the replacement fan the same as the old fan - the blacks to the black fan wire, the whites to the white fan wire and the ground to the green fan wire. There are some things that I plan to check this weekend including the switch to see if I can get this to work correctly.

Thanks,
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 11:19 PM
    I think you will need to trace the wiring from the switch to the fan, and/or get a voltmeter, to get this working. I could hazard a few guesses but I'd rather not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing fan and light switch for ceiling fan [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to install a switch that controls both the ceiling fan with 3 speeds and a dimmer switch all in one unit for a hunter ceiling fan. At the wall switch there is a black wire which is always hot, a red and a ground. At the ceiling, where I removed a light fixture, there is a black, red,...

Ceiling Fan and Light Switch Wiring [ 10 Answers ]

I purchased a switch that will control my ceiling fan and its light. The switch has the following wires: 1 black, 1 red, 1 yellow, plus the green ground. The wall outlet has the following wires: 2 white, 2 black, plus the green ground. (Neither of the blacks are tagged) How do I connect these...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Ceiling fan light switch [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older ceiling fan that works well, except the light switch appears to be broken. The pull chain will not turn on the light. Can the internal light switch be changed or must I buy a new ceiling fan?

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

View more questions Search