Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missikid15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2005, 09:59 AM
    Moving washer to basement
    We are trying to move our washer to our basement and we just want to make sure we are doing it right. We have a drain pipe in our crawl space about 14 feet from where we are putting the washer. The drain pipe comes from the bathroom upstairs. We are planning on running a pipe from the washer at a decline to the drain pipe. We are not quite sure how big that pipe needs to be or how much of an decline we need. We then have to run the declined pipe through our basement wall and down to the washer is there any special things we need to install to make sure the water can go up and to make sure it doesn't drain back into our washer?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 3, 2005, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by missikid15
    We are trying to move our washer to our basement and we just want to make sure we are doing it right. we have a drain pipe in our crawl space about 14 feet from where we are putting the washer. the drain pipe comes from the bathroom upstairs. we are planning on running a pipe from the washer at a decline to the drain pipe. we are not quite sure how big that pipe needs to be or how much of an decline we need. we then have to run the declined pipe through our basement wall and down to the washer is there any special things we need to install to make sure the water can go up and to make sure it doesn't drain back into our washer?

I'm a little confused by the question. "Decline" means to "slope down" yet you want to make sure the water will go "UP" and not drain back into the washer. You can't drain up if you use gravity for a force. Please explain, Will any part of this have to drain up hill?
    Having said that, you've got problems from the git-go. (1) You're proposing to discharge a major fixture,(your upstairs toilet and bathroom) past a unvented minor one, (your washer) This is against code and not good plumbing practice. (2) ALL fixtures that are trapped will have to be vented, you didn't address venting the washer. How do you plan on doing this? I can get you out from having to run a washer vent out the roof by installing a Studore Mechanical Vent just downstream from the trap but I'm stopped by the part where you want the water to drain up. You're going to want to run 2" pipe at 1/4" drop to the foot. The fall being from the washer trap to the tie in point of the vertical stack. Let me know your thoughts. Tom
    missikid15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2005, 09:19 AM
    Sorry I didn't explain well the water will be going up the wall then we have to extend the pipe from the washer to tap into an existing drain pipe. And I did not mention any thing about venting because I did not know we had to do this. Could you please explain more about the venting. And the decline I was talking about was the extension part on the pipe from the washer that has to run down to meet the existing drain pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 4, 2005, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by missikid15
    Sorry I didn't explain well the water will be going up the wall then we have to extend the pipe from the washer to tap into an existing drain pipe. and I did not mention any thing about venting because I did not know we had to do this. could you please explain more about the venting. and the decline I was talking about was the extention part on the pipe from the washer that has to run down to meet the existing drain pipe.

How far up the wall will the water have to go before it slopes down to the stack? The washer pump will only pump so high. You can probably install a Studor Mechanical Spring Loaded Vent just downstream from the trap to save you the hassle of having to run a vent to the roof, ( you didn't think this was going to be easy did you?) I'm still confused, Why not install a trap close to the floor with a 36" standpipe to hook the discharge hose into and then slope to the stack? That's the way we usually do it. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer from basement to kitchen [ 3 Answers ]

Good Morning I want to move my washer and dryer from the basement to the upstairs kitchen. Can we just buy a longer hoses for the connection and discharge hoses and run them down to the basement? Do you forsee any other problems they will be directly above the outtake pipe and faucet connections....

Basement washer won't drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GE washer installed in a basement. The drain inlet is 7 ft above the floor. The specs on the washer says it will drain up to 8 ft. The water does all drain out. I called a GE service. Their repair man came and informed me that the new energy miser pumps in washers are too small to...

Connecting a washer in the basement [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a house few months ago and there are no hot and cold water supply lines for a washer what's the best way? Tapping them directly from the hot water heater as well as how would I implement a stand pipe in the set-up. My main sewer pipe runs along the wall of the basemnt about 5 foot...

Moving a toilet in the Basement [ 4 Answers ]

I want to move my basement toilet to another location as part of a bathroom remodeling project. I have a cement floor. The toilet sits on top of a 2.5 inch build up of cement... kind of like a platform of some sort. The vent pipe appears to go into the cement and I assume connects to the toilet...

Moving washer and dryer to basement [ 3 Answers ]

I am buying a new house that has the washer and dryer located on the main floor, but I want to move it into the unfinished basement (as well as add a laundry tub). There is a rough in for a bathroom directly below where the washer and dryer are currently located, and I'd like to move the washer...

View more questions Search