Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ptnoble Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 11:39 AM
    220 hookups (dryer, heater, hot tub)
    Hello, I have questions about new wiring for the following:

1. Electric dryer. The dryer will need only about a 15 ft. from run from the breaker panel. Is 10-3 the correct wire to use for this? I have plenty of outlet boes for 110v. But What does the outlet box for the 220v dryer plug look like?

2. Electric heater. Looking online at different options I do not think I would go over a 2500 watt, 240v baseboard. This would be about 20 ft. from the panel. Again, is 10 gauge 3 wire (+ ground) the appropriate wire?

3. Hot tub in the future. I want to run wiring (before wall-board) for a hot tub in the future. After a quick scan of the internet it looks like a 120/240/ 50amp spa box is what's required for most new tubs today. I am not sure how close the spa box/gfci disconnect needs to be to the hot tub. I found one site saying more than 5 ft. but within 15ft. Is this standard? Can I just mount a spa box on the wall about 15ft. From where I am planning on the hot tub? How high off the ground does the spa box need to be? What wire do I need to run to supply the spa box. The box will be about a 30 ft. run from the panel.

Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 01:00 PM
    1)10-3 is fine for Dryer, Then use 4 wire Dryer outlet(30 Amp), and 2 pole 30 amp breaker.

2)2500 Watts at 240 volts is 10.42 Amps. #10's would not hurt and would allow for upgrade, Use breaker recommended for heater. 3 #10's. 3/4" PVC will work. I never installed baseboard heater, Live in Florida.

3) 2 #6's, 1 #8 for neutral, and #10 for ground. GFCI 15 feet, in sight, will work.
    I would check local codes for distances.

Before closing up walls, do you need to run TV, Tel, Phone, Computer, Camera, Speakers,
    120, or anything like that. Doesn't get easier than now. Take Care
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 5, 2007, 04:26 PM
    What does the outlet box for the 220v dryer plug look like?
    A two gang switch box will work fine.

Electric heater. Looking online at different options I do not think I would go over a 2500 watt, 240v baseboard. This would be about 20 ft. from the panel. Again, is 10 gauge 3 wire (+ ground) the appropriate wire?
    12-2 NM-B served by a two pole 20amp breaker will work fine for the heater. The white conductor "must" be phased to black at the heater, and panel. Where are you planning to install your heaters? **As stated--Check with your jurisdiction on wiring requirements.

I am not sure how close the spa box/gfci disconnect needs to be to the hot tub. I found one site saying more than 5 ft.
    More than 5 feet, but I (just me) wouldn't go over 8 feet. Note: You still have to run wire from the Spa disconnect to the hot tub, and keeping this distance short is my recommendations. Depending on the run from the disconnect to the tub, it could be a pain later on [Personal Preference].

Jul 5, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Thanks all. My follow up follows:

1. Everything pretty clear on the dryer question. 10-3 wire run from a 30A dual pole breaker in the panel to a roughly square box for the dryer plug.

2. This will be a 240v heater so I need 3 wire + ground right? The question is at what level of wattage do I need to go from 12-3 to 10-3 assuming a 15ft. Run? This is a baseboard heater that will sit on the floor. Here is a link to the one I am looking at:
    CADET 03358 Electric Baseboard Heater 96" 240V/2500W 208V/1875W Almond (8F2500A)

3. Hot tub. Stratmando says 2 #6's, 1 #8 for neutral, and #10 for ground. Looking at some of tkrussell's other answers he has recommended #6 romex wire. I assume that is called something like 6-3 (+ ground). Wouldn't this be my best option if I am running the wire from the breaker to the GFCI spa box in the walls? Tkrussell, what say you? Regarding how close the spa box should be to the tub, I am not exactly clear on how to run from the gfci disconnect to the tub itself. For this I would buy individual THHN wires and pull them through some type of conduit which runs down the wall and then underground to the tub? Is this right? What type of conduit?

Thanks again!

Jul 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
    roughly square box for the dryer plug.
    2 gang box or 4 sq with a 2 gang mud ring.

This will be a 240v heater so I need 3 wire + ground right?
    Read the above. 12-2/w ground will work for the one heater.

3. Hot tub. Stratmando says 2 #6's, 1 #8 for neutral, and #10 for ground. Looking at some of tkrussell's other answers he has recommended #6 romex wire
    Strat was correct, yet if you are running your wires in the wall, the NM will work. Note: Check jurisdictional code. (Also read above)

Regarding how close the spa box should be to the tub, I am not exactly clear on how to run from the gfci disconnect to the tub itself. For this I would buy individual THHN wires and pull them through some type of conduit which runs down the wall and then underground to the tub? Is this right?
    Yes!

What type of conduit?
    LFNC-B would be best. 3/4 is min. (I usually go 1" LFNC-B. Note: You have to have type "B") You will need LFNC connectors.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 05:51 PM
    3/4" PVC for SPA, Gray in color for Electrical. Check code for Max distance, Some can be 20 feet, you say you have wall 15', Verify local Code, In site is good, should Emergency Arise. I appologize, Most SPAs I have been installing, Have been indoors, Or Isolated, Requiring burial. I like PVC. Many places use romex Completely. Nothing wrong with it.
    I think it doesn't allow Easy Replacement, upgrade, And more subject to abuse. Thats just me. Romex may be more economical.
    The 4X4" box for Electric Dryer, With switch box, I would also use Extension Ring(Makes box twice as deep). Or use deep box.
    6-3 Romex is fine.
    I come up with 3840 Watts at the crossover point

Jul 5, 2007, 06:27 PM
    [QUOTE=Washington1]
    12-2 NM-B served by a two pole 20amp breaker will work fine for the heater. The white conductor "must" be phased to black at the heater, and panel. Where are you planning to install your heaters? **As stated--Check with your jurisdiction on wiring requirements.

I don't understand this part. Can someone please explain how you can use 21-2 for 240v connection from a 20 amp dual pole breaker? All the 240 dual pole connections I have ever seen have been to 2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Just Recently? Last few years, Dryers and Ranges went to 4 wire, and Jacuzzi's or things that may need 120 Volt Items.
    Wiring to many motors will use 2 hots and 1 ground.
    With 12-2, You have black and white(Identify white with black tape, both ends), and connect ground(green or bare)Does't need a neutral, and no place to connect one.

Jul 6, 2007, 12:03 AM
    Pt,

Based on my experience, I believe you should hire an electrical contractor. It's best to be safe!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing new washer/dryer hookups [ 2 Answers ]

How much should it cost to install washer/dryer hookups in a house?

Washer/dryer hookups [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wanting to install a washer and dryer in our utility room. It's where the water heater and furnace are. There are no hookups, but I'm wondering if it's even possible and how expensive it would be.

Change Hot tub heater wiring [ 8 Answers ]

Gatsby spa is out of business, maybe for this reason. This is the wiring design I need to change it. By this diagram the heater is on whenever the thermostat says it is cold and 24 volts are supplied to the relays. Note the pump is not on. This design relies on the High limit switch to kill...

220 volt heater [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a 220 volt wall heater. The feed line has a red, black, white and copper ground. The heater only has a red, black and ground. What do I do with the white (common) line?

View more questions Search