Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmorris95 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Replacing old Cast Iron Sewer with PVC
    I am remodeling a 2 bedroom house myself which sit on a crawl space and unfortunately I have to replace all plumbing and sewer systems inside the house. I was wondering what the best and easiest way to replace the cast iron sewer system with PVC. Do I need to replace the entire cast iron stack, how would I brace it? Then what is the method of connecting to outside sewer drain? I want to do this myself to save money because I do not feel it is that difficult once I understand what to do? I just want to do it properly and safely because the cast iron stack will need to be supported in some way if I need to leave it. Thank you for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
    What is the method of connecting to outside sewer drain?

To convert to PVC from cast iron I would use a Fernco Shielded Coupling,(see image).

Do I need to replace the entire cast iron stack,

Not if it still operates OK.

The cast iron stack will need to be supported in some way if I need to leave it. How would I brace it?

When we cut into a vertical stack we use a raiser clamp,(see image) and install the clamp on the floor above to secutre the stack from falling down.
    If the is no floor above to support the clamp we mount the clamp above the cut and use two bumper jacks to hold it up.

More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron to pvc [ 1 Answers ]

Can I switch from cast iron waste, vent pipe to pvc? I just moved to North New Jersey and am not sure of the codes there.

Cast Iron to PVC [ 5 Answers ]

We would like to put an offer on a house built in the 50's. It has cast iron plumbing and we possibly would like to change that to PVC throughout the house before remodeling. It is on a slab and a brick home. It is 2600 sq.ft. with 3 bathrooms. Is there anyway I can get a rough estimate on what...

Conecting pvc to cast iron [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cast iron toilet drain that is cracked at the flang down the side. It goes streight down into a 90 degree pipe with a concetion that goes to the roof for air flow. How do I replace this cast iron with pvc? Thank you

Underground Cast iron to pvc [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a on to a bathroom in my basement. I want to put a sink a tub in. The main issue is that the sewage line under the concrete floor is cast iron. Can I connect pvc to castiron with a boot and then cover back up with dirt? Are there an issues with do it that way? Is there a better way?

PVC into an Cast Iron opening [ 1 Answers ]

I have old cast iron drain pipes. The bathroom sink has a 2in galvanized pipe that screws into this cast iron pipe. The galvanized pipe is rusting out. Can I replace this galvanized pipe with plastic pipe?

View more questions Search