Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wrwnyc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Sewage smell from washing machine
    I have noticed a sewage smell coming from our washing machine recently. It seems to occur shortly after running the machine. The drum appears to have drained completely (no water in drum). We are on a city waste system and do not have a septic tank. This smell seems to have occurred since we began renovating a half bathroom. This bathroom currently has all of the fixtures removed. Although there is no bad smell from the bathroom, just from the washing machine. Not sure if this is related but the timing is suspicious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me nuts.
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Jun 22, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Are you sure it is coming from the washing machine and not the drain pipe? If so you may have a clog in that drain. Other than that I have no idea.

Jun 22, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewilder
    Are you sure it is coming from the washing machine and not the drain pipe? If so you may have a clog in that drain. Other than that I have no idea.
    It appears to be coming from the washing machine which seems to be functioning, in that the clothes are getting clean and do not smell and the drum is completely draining. There is also a slop sink next to the washer that does not seem to emit any odors.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2007, 06:22 AM
    " the drum is completely draining."
    Not quite. The washer tub has a sump that the water drains back into from the hose after the pump shuts off. There's always some wash water left in your tub.
    It sounds to me like you may bhave some bacteria growing down in the sump.
    Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2 gallon of bleach in the tub and close the lid. Next morning cycle the washer to flush it out. Smell better now?
    Good luck, Tom

Jun 23, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    " the drum is completely draining."
    Not quite. The washer tub has a sump that the water drains back into from the hose after the pump shuts off. there's always some wash water left in your tub.
    it sounds to me like you may bhave some bacteria growing down in the sump.
    Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2 gallon of bleach in the tub and close the lid. Next morning cycle the washer to flush it out. Smell better now?
    good luck, Tom
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try it this evening. If this resolves the problem wouldn't it just be masking another problem that will re-occur?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2007, 07:48 AM
    If this resolves the problem wouldn't it just be masking another problem that will re-occur?
    Bleach will kill the bacteria that causes the smell not just mask iit so it will return. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Electrical Burning Smell [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, Here's the long and the short of it. My Daughter pulled the drain plug out of the washing machine (found at bottom front of my European Zanussi Washer/Dryer combo) during a wash and water went everywhere. The only way I could see to reinstall it is by putting the machine on its side...

Sewage smell in washing machine/dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I've had an ongoing problem with sewage backing up into the sink next to the washing machine. The sink was backing up to the point of overflow. So we raised the sink about 4 feet off the floor but there was still a little brown sludge flowing into the sink. A hose from the washing machine runs off...

Sewage odor from washing machine drain [ 2 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1997. We bought it in 2001 in the winter. There is a problem with sewage odor coming from the washing machine drain in the laudry room when the weather is warm. A couple of years ago we had the septic tank checked and waste water lines extended (I'm not sure if that's what...

Smell when washing machine drains [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had the problem of my wash machine overflowing drain pipe plumber recommended putting a fitting on top of drain to prevent water from overflowing and it worked until about a week later when I started smelling sewer smell checked it out and found some standing water under my bathroom on...

Washing Machine Drains = Bathtub Fills Up W/ Sewage? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so my title is just a hint of the trouble I have recently encountered. A couple days ago I did a load of laundry and noticed that the bathtub was full of sewage about 45mins after starting the laundry load. Puzzled it took me until the next day to figure out they two events were...

View more questions Search