Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emahsman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 05:36 AM
    Leaky Compression Shut-Off Valve
    I recently replaced an old, leaky shut-off valve with a compression shut-off valve. I cut off the copper pipe cleanly and made sure the end was clean and burr free. After tightening the nut as instructed, I still had a leak from where the valve connects to the stub. I've adjusted it a couple of times and added teflon tape to the threaded portion of the valve. The leak is now very minimal, but still exists. Any suggestions? As I have a second one to replace, I want to get this correct. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 11, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Taping the threads on a compression nut won't stop anything as it isn't the threads that hold water it's the ferrule,(see image). You do have a ferrule installed don't you? If so, then crank down a little harder. If not then the compression goes on the pipe first then the ferrule and finally the anglestop. Good luck, Tom
    emahsman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Thanks so much for the help. So the teflon tape is pointless in this situation? Being very simple-minded about plumbing, I just always use it. Also, I learned a new word, ferrule. I did use the ferrule but didn't know what it was called.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shut off valve not working! [ 34 Answers ]

Hi: I am trying to fix a leaky compression faucet. I have turned off the shut off valve for the cold water under the sink so the when the handle for the cold water of the compression faucet is turned, there is no water as expected. However, even if I turn off the shut off valve for the hot...

20.5hp briggs, compression release valve? [ 8 Answers ]

Do these engine have a valve to release compression to make it start easier? I think mine is stuck shut cause its real hard to turn over

Rolled teflon tape for leaky shut off valve [ 1 Answers ]

I was trying to replace a leaky shut off valve. I couldn't get compression ring off copper pipe w pliers so I put new valve on old ferrule & valve leaked more. Home Depot guy said his plumber father has tried placing a thin rope of teflon tape around both bevels of compression ring & put new...

Leaky Pressure Release Valve [ 1 Answers ]

My tri-indicator reads 35psi when in operation. The pressure release valve is set for 30 psi. I have a steady drip when the boiler is running. How do I go about relieving some of the pressure? I believe I have 2 zones, there are 3 sets of pipes running up away from the boiler. I wanted...

Leaky Shut off valves [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in the Northeast and for the first time this past winter, I actually used the shutoff valves that lead to my outside water spigots. Now that I've turned them back on, they are leaking whenever the water line is open. I noticed they have nuts on the front... was I supposed to...

View more questions Search