Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bamalady Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
    Can I tie a washing machine drain into a 4" cast iron drain from a upstairs bathroom
    I want to move my laundry room into another room. I know I have a cast iron pipe running down from the upstairs bathroom. Can I tie into that pipe or do I need to do something different?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 12, 2012, 05:47 AM
    You may tie into the stack providing you vent the washer. This vent can,
    1. Be run out the roof
    2. Revented back in the attic to a existing roof vent.
    3. Revent back to a existing dry vent. **OR**
    4> If AAV's are allowed in your code you can install a Studor Vent. Good luck, Tom

Mar 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    You may tie into the stack providing you vent the washer. This vent can,
    1. Be run out the roof
    2. Revented back in the attic to a existing roof vent.
    3. Revent back to a existing dry vent. **OR**
    4> If AAV's are allowed in your code you can install a Studor Vent. Good luck, Tom
    Im not sure what studor vent is but Im moving the washing machine into a room next to the exsisting plumbing. Can I run the vent over about 4 ft. to the old vent or would it need to go straight up? It's a tri-level house so I would have to go out the roof. It may not be that big of a deal beause the cast iron pipe I want to hook to has a pan it runs through that sticks out of the wall a little.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
    A SAtudor Vent is a air admittance valve, (AAV).
    the cast iron pipe I want to hook to has a pan it runs through that sticks out of the wall a little.
    Please explain. Are you saying the cast iron pipe is open at one end and drains into a pan? Sounds more like a drain then a vent. Check with your local Building Department to see if AAV's are allowed in your area, That might be your best bet, Regards, Tom

Mar 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
    Im sorry Im not very good at explaining this and I don't know the proper names of things. The cast iron pipe is a 4in. Or 6in. Drain from the 2 upstair bathroom. I think there are vent pipes running from those upstair bathrooms in a trough in the wall. I know I should I know more but I didn't want to start cutting wholes in the walls. What I was thinking since you said I could hook up to the cast iron drain then maybe the I could run the vent through the trough which I beleave runs all the way to the roof.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
    You're doing just fine Bamalady. I can figure out what you meam.
    I'm going to put up a image of a washer set up that you will have to build. You haven't told me yet exactly how you plan on connecting the washer to the cast iron. How do you plan on connecting to the cast iron?
    You may run the vent in any one of the 4 options I have given you.
    Back to you, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I tie in a shower drain pipe into a washing machine drain pipe? [ 3 Answers ]

Can I tie in a shower drain pipe into a washing machine drain pipe? And does the shower need to have a trap?

Can you tie into a bathtub drain with washing machine [ 8 Answers ]

I'm trying to put a washing machine in my storage closet that back onto the bathroom but the only thing I can tie into is the bath tub drain can this be done

How do I connect a bathroom sink drain to a cast iron toilet drain [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a leaky one and a quarter inch lead drain pipe that goes from the sink to the toilet. It is about 30" long and connects to the cast iron toilet drain, through a large cast iron nut which appears to screw into the side of the drain. All of this is located in a powder room in...

Adding washing machine drain to 2" kitchen drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2" drain that goes to 1 1/2" for the kitchen sink and connected dishwasher. I am tool proficient and have some plumbing experience. I want to add a washing machine drain breaking out from the 2" hub. The washing machine is 5' away on the same wall. The drain pipe need not be in...

Washing machine drain pipe overflows -- cast iron? [ 1 Answers ]

Our washing machine drain overflows each time the machine drains -- I have snaked, used a pressure cuff with the garden hose, and tried Drano. The drain pipe is cast iron from the 1950s -- I'm wondering whether it has just corroded inside to the point that the internal diameter is partially...

View more questions Search