Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    draggoncom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2012, 11:13 AM
    How to join a cast iron rough-in drain to shower drain?
    Hello. This is my first post. I have done some searching and not finding a way to do this. I have a cast iron rough in drain that I would like to join to a new shower drain. I have already taken out a rough mortar bed that was underneath a prefab shower pan. I will be building a new mortar bed for a new pan so that I can tile the shower. I would like to leave the existing cast iron drain in place and don't want to have to break up the concrete and replace it... How do I connect my new drain to the cast iron drain pipe?

Thanks to any and all for any help!

http://www.draggon.com/pics/roughin.jpg

Feb 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
    Not sure why the pics didn't come through. They are available at http://www.draggon.com/pics/roughin.jpg and http://www.draggon.com/pics/showerdrain.jpg
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
    You buy drain that mounts on top of the Cast Iron pipe. It slips over the pipe and seals with larger round seal from above. See the pic. Btw: your photos are not accessible.

Hope that helps.

Milo
    Attached Images

Feb 21, 2012, 02:11 PM
    Thanks for the tip, I think the drain I ordered should work then. For some reason, if you type the URL they will load, but not as part of direct links in the post.

Feb 21, 2012, 02:12 PM
    I have tried to attach the images. I wonder if this will work. :)
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 03:28 PM
    Unless I miss my guess that was never a proper shower drain to start with, appears to be an old floor drain. That plug on the side it a way for you to rod the drain and bypass the trap. I have installed some Swanstone shower pads over a drain like this using an indirect drain method. There would be no actually mechanical connection between the floor drain and the gray plastic drain you show in your post. The plastic drain just sits directly over the floor drain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Join PVC drain to a 3 1/2" clean-out on cast iron [ 1 Answers ]

Installed a new bathroom on main level with shower stall. How do I connect the drain to a 3 1/2" clean-out on a cast iron pipe?

Cast Iron Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

Good day, I am in the process of remodeling a bath room and I am at a point where I am not quite sure what to do... I have a cast iron flange with a cast iron riser and shower pan drain in a sunken slab that I would like to replace but with a small extension on the riser to accommodate the new...

Join pvc drain into middle of existing cast iron [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I am planning to move the sink in my bathroom. I've already figure out (it's pretty easy) where to put the copper pipes with hot cold water. Right now I am trying to figure out the best way to do the dranage. There's a cast iron pipe about 4' in diameter, that runs from...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search