Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mandm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Basement bathroom rough-in
    Our house is 3years old and in the basement there are three rough-ins, one is definitely the toilet and one is in the area of the tub(pvc sticking up about a foot and gravel around it)and the third is left side of the toilet... do all three of these need to be vented, or can I join the two 2" risers and that automatically vent the toilet... how can I tell which is the vent pipe and which is the drain pipe... how do I install the tub toilet and sink to these pvc pipes already there... I have a septic system and I am soooo confused with all that I have read!!

Help!!
    Marcy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 18, 2006, 05:50 PM
    Hi Marcy,

You already know where the toilet is. The Pipe stiching up out of the gravel is for a bath tub. The last pipe will go up in a wall 18" to the center of a 2 X 2X 1 1/2" tee and stub out 1 1/2" to pick up the vanity/lavatory. From the top of the tee you will run a vent out the roof or revent into a exsiting dry vent. If local codes allow you may use a AAV "cheater vent",(see image). Your entire bathroom group will be vented by the lavatory Vent. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom
    mandm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2006, 03:45 AM
    Supply lines
    We are installing a basement bathroom and my question is about the water supply lines, do I need to run a separate line for each fixture(lav/toilet/tub) or can I tap into main and run to the sink and go from there to the toilet(with just cold) and then to the tub or will this create a problem?

Marcy
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2006, 03:55 AM
    Yes you can (and should, to save yourself time and material) and no, it will create no problems at all.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Mar 20, 2006, 06:11 AM
    Just remember to put shut-off valves anywhere you can. That way, if there is a leak in the system, you can isolate the problem.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 20, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mandm
    we are installing a basement bathroom and my question is about the water supply lines, do i need to run a seperate line for each fixture(lav/toilet/tub) or can i tap into main and run to the sink and go from there to the toilet(with just cold) and then to the tub or will this create a problem?

Marcy
    Hi Marcy, Welcome! Back again I see.
    Since they both deal with the same basement rough in I'm going to merge your posts for simplicity. Our code states that you may supply no more then 3 fixtures with a 1/2" branch.
    Since you'll have only three fixtures in your bath you may indeed run from one fixture to another with 1/2" supplies off a 3/4" main. As Dan has suggested, install stops on all stubouts so that if you have to service one fixture then you won't have to shut down the entire house.
    Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Bathroom Rough-in [ 9 Answers ]

My house (approx 15 yrs old) has a basement bathroom rough-in. It has 3 pipes protruding, one is 4" in diameter, one is 1 3/4" (inside dia.) & the other is 2" in diameter. Assuming, one (4") is for the toilet, one (1 3/4") is for the shower vent and the other (2") is for the shower drain. The...

Basement Bathroom Rough-in [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a 2 piece rough-in for my basement, but I also want to put in a bathtub. The rough-in includes a 3" abs stub out for the toilet and a 1 1/2" stub out drain that is vented. I'm going to have to break into the concrete... where is the best place to drain into (p trap then into the 3",...

Basement bathroom rough in [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting our basement developed and have a question with regards to roughing in for a bathroom. We have a heated floor and wish to put our bathroom in a different location than what was originally roughed in for. We have had a couple of plumbers advise us against doing this...

Yet another basement bathroom rough in [ 7 Answers ]

I apologize in advance for the broken record, but I'm thinking of roughing in a bathroom in my basement myself. I intended on hiring a plumber until I got the first quote :eek: I have a full bathroom roughed in, with a 12"x12" box with a 2" drain for the shower/tub on the far left. In the...

Basement bathroom rough ins [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of developing my basement. There is no rough-in for bathrooms. I'm putting an ensuite attached to a room with a shower, vanity and toilet. Backing on to this bathroom is another 1/2 bathroom with toilet and sink. There was no future vent put in when the house was built making...

View more questions Search