Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulhojo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 09:28 PM
    p-trap purpose
    Is a p-trap necessary? I installed a garbage disposal and the outlet was lower than the drain in the wall, and didn't have sufficient room, so I installed just a straight pipe with a curve to the drain in the wall. Is this OK, or am I going to have problems? Thanks
    SC-tbfd Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Yes a trap is needed. The purpose is to keep sewer gas out of your house. The 'P' portion holds water, effectively sealing off the pipe.

I'm curious what you mean by a pipe with a 'curve' in it?

At any rate the real pros will be around in the morning and should be able to provide you with a solution, I have to imagine this is a fairly common problem. Best of luck.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 03:16 AM
    SC-tbdf said it dead on! You need a p-trap for all fixtures.

In this case, sounds like you kind of bent the pipe over and up to join to your disposal. That is not going to keep the sewer gasses from entering the house.

Put a ptrap up to the disposal and see how the outlet of disposal and waste pipe in wall line up then... may be surprised to find that they line up properly (see pic. Below). The outlet of disposer can be lower than the wall pipe... the ptrap just won't have a long piece coming out of it, like in pic.

While purchsing the ptrap, also purchase an 1.5" desanco fitting, and an 1.5" street desanco fitting, 2-1.5" street 90s, 2-1.5" 90, 1-1.5" dandy cleanout (see pic.) and 1-1.5" coupling (some of these are in case the ptrap doesn't work somehow.. then will make your own ptrap.. ;) ).

Let us know what you do... Mark
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2008, 05:51 AM
    It's difficult to improve on Marks answers but here's another hook-up to consider, (see image). Bottom line? Traps protect you from sewer gas entering your home. Sewer gas's a health hazard to your family and the methane content makes it explosive. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 08:46 AM
    The last time I installed a new deep sink I ran into the same problem. The only solution was to install a S trap which is outside code. Other than this you'd need to open the wall and see if you can lower the connection to the drain line, usually a big task.

Apr 21, 2008, 09:02 PM
    I am not able to fix this right now, I installed the sink at my girlfriends house. If she put the garbage disposal stop in the drain would that be good enough until I can get back to her house to re-plumb?

Apr 21, 2008, 09:04 PM
    The curve is a curve that wraps horizontally around the garbage disposal. I rotated the outlet 90 degree pipe so it no longer faced downward.

Quote Originally Posted by SC-tbfd
    Yes a trap is needed. the purpose is to keep sewer gas out of your house. the 'P' portion holds water, effectively sealing off the pipe.

I'm curious what you mean by a pipe with a 'curve' in it?

At any rate the real pros will be around in the morning and should be able to provide you with a solution, I have to imagine this is a fairly common problem. best of luck.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 22, 2008, 05:42 AM
    If I understand the question Paul left his girlfriend with a direct open conmection between her kitchen and the city sewer allowing sewer gas to enter her home. Sewer gas is a health hazard and the methane content makes it explosive. You have two options here. 1) Tear up the wall and lower the stub out** or** 2 )build a "S" trap; as Bob suggested in a earlier post. The one thing you can't do is ignore this situation. FIX IT!! Good luck, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Reverse the trap and install it backwards. This will significantly lower the trap and you will probably have to add an extension to the elbow out of the disposal.

Review this thread for pictures of this.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ed-178738.html
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2008, 07:36 AM
    I am afraid that reversing the trap doesn't fix this type of situation. I had the same situation and the actual drain opening of the disposal is lower than the lateral coming out of the wall. The water can't run up hill so consider the illegal S trap if code doesn't worry you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double trap OK? Rough in piping + tub trap [ 10 Answers ]

The way the 2" rough in went we ended up with a trap of sorts then a pipe to where the tub trap will be. Not completed yet. Just wondering if a tub trap and a trap made with the rough in piping will cause some sort of problem. The rough in trap was made off a 4x4x2 wye. Would that be adequate...

Changing out PVC P-trap to decorative P-trap [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the process of changing out a vanity in our guest bathroom and I have a few questions. We removed the old vanity and had to cut the old p-trap off with a hack saw. We are replacing with an open vanity so now the pipes will be exposed. I want to tile half way up the wall,...

What is the difference between an S-trap and a P-trap? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new faucet installed by a professional plumber and he made mention of these terms. The house is 28 yrs old and all the plumbing is original. Are there new standards, equipment in plumbing for the home? Advise and Thanks.

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

View more questions Search