Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjteague Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Need to replace shower drain
    I have a fiberglass shower stall over 30 years old and it appears that water is going between the black plastic shower drain and the floor of the stall then dripping down the outside of a 4 inch plastic drain pipe underneath the shower. The 4 inch pvc drain fits right up to the bottom of the shower drain so it looks like even if the old drain was full of holes, it would still go into the 4 inch drain and not leak on floor below. I used caulk several years ago to solve the same problem but this time caulk is not doing the trick. I used 100% silicone caulk and went all around the edge of the drain and thought there could be no way for water to seep underneath but it still leaked; thus I assume the only fix is to replace the drain. I read that a wingtite replacement drain might do the trick. What do you recommend?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 26, 2007, 07:05 AM
    If you can unscrew the drain lip why not simply take a small ring of plumbers putty and redo the drain seal? Does the shower floor give a bit when you step into it? Regards, Tom

Dec 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
    I don't think this is something that unscrews as it is plastic and nothing on it that would assist in turning it right or left; it is most likely glued down. Yes it does give when you step on the floor and allows the floor to sink some so that the water can seep between the drain.

Dec 26, 2007, 06:54 PM
    I just read an answer given to similar problem where it was recommended to use pvc primer and then silicone caulk to try to seal the drain and stop the leak. I would be willing to try that but is there something I can do to insure that the problem is not something inside the drain like a hairline crack that might be allowing water to go through? I am worried about trying a repair that don't work and then having to still remove the plastic drain after gluing it tighter to the shower bottom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I replace a shower drain [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: how do I replace a shower drain?

Replace drain in tile shower floor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a tile shower upstairs that has a drain that is cemented into the tile. On the floor below I have ripped out the ceiling and can see what looks like a shower drain that is corroded and it looks like someone may have applied putty to it. There is a very slow drip filling a margarine...

Replace concre-tile shower with new shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my concrete-tile shower with swanstone 32x60L shower base. The new drain location will be around 4" away from the original drain location. What should I do? Can I use the existing P-trap with the new drain location by connecting them using a horizontal PVC pipe? Or do I have to...

Replace shower Plumbing Valve assembly shower head 2 knobs [ 3 Answers ]

In a fiberglass corner shower shell. What I have is an old leaking rusted Shower valve assembly. It leaks from the Shower head that is a hand sprayer with a wall mount from the sprayer. It also leaks around the both the hot and cold water wall mount knobs. The cold water knob the sleeve that...

Replace toilet drain with washing machine drain [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how I would go about taking a toilet drain and turning it into a drain for a washing machine.

View more questions Search