Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knolly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Water coming into vent pipe from outside
    Hello,

Our bathroom fan was dripping and we figured it was just because of condensation in the vent pipe. I think that was definitely part of it but then we switched it to a much shorter vent pipe that was being used to vent above the stove. Then we covered the end of the longer vent pipe with plastic and left it just to check and see if there was water coming into the long pipe from outside. Went up into the attic a week later and the plastic has half a foot of water in it. So it seems that there is indeed water coming down the pipe from outside.

Our roof is very hard to get at, we can't even see that part of it as we don't have access to the back garden, and it would be best to figure this out without getting in a roofer or something. Any guesses as to how water is getting in? Is it possible that the hole in the roof is not covered properly or something? Or can air from outside cause condensation in the pipe as well? And if so what can we do about it?

Thanks for any help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 22, 2008, 03:39 PM

Has it been raining to possible cause a poorly flashed pipe to leak? This sounds like too much water to be condensation.

Nov 23, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes it could be something like that. Is there a way I can check that from inside?

Thanks!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 07:01 AM

Unless you can see daylight,probably not going to find the real problem from the inside.

As a roofer for the past 20 years,I have diagnosed maybe 3 spots from the inside.

A shingle roof doesn't leak,mostly is is the projections from the roof that cause the problems.

An old pipe boot will crack and the mastic which was used will too.Due to the movement of the decking,a fixed pipe or chimney verses a moving roofline will do this,that's why we use flexible boots and the flashing can move separately from the deck.

You might have to get a handyman to get up there and inspect.

Visually inspected from the top will tell you a lot more than anything you can see from the inside.

KBC

Dec 1, 2008, 02:56 AM
    Hey well that's not exactly what I wanted to hear but thanks very much for the information. I will have to get someone in I guess

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 05:44 PM

I agree with KBC, most leaks appear on the inside many feet from whether they started to penetrate the outer roofing material. Have you roofer pay extra attention to the boot jack around the fan vent pipe as it exits the roof.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain vent water coming out [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1974 I have a pipe outside that is in the brick of the house it looks like a cast iron pipe about 3' or 4' in diameter when I was clothes or drain the sink the water comes out of the pipe and floods my yard how do I fix this the stack is that the black pipes on top of the...

Water coming out of vent pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced the laundry sink in my 1940s home. In process I noted what I assumed was a vent pipe (approx. 2" diameter) coming out of basement floor at 45 degree and then turning and going straight up. A joint on this pipe was corroded and came apart; it appeared to be pretty blocked on the...

No Water coming from pipe [ 2 Answers ]

We had to replace the water pipe in the ground going to the house and thought we did it successfully but we can't get any water from pipes. Is there some way we can clear the pipe in case it got dirt in it without digging it all up again? Please help! Thank you

Water in the basement.coming from the vent? [ 3 Answers ]

There is water coming out of the basement pipe vent (vent is just before the main pipe out to the street sewer system) every time the sump pump goes on. We snaked the pipes past the vent but it still is coming out of the pipe vent. We cannot use any water in the house without the sump pump kicking...

View more questions Search