Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 01:00 AM
    Kitchen Sink disposal switch
    Can the switch for a kitchen sink disposal be in the cabinet under the sink? When you open the cabinet door it is within reach. This is in the state of Arizona. Also does the furnace need to be pluged (or hot wired) into a fused switch?

Thank you in advance
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Sure, a disconnecting means only needs to be accessible to an appliance for servicing purposes.

Not exactly sure what you mean about the furnace. Most, if not all furnaces, are wired with at least one circuit, back to a circuit breaker in a panelboard.

There may be local codes that require disconnect switches in certain locations for certain furnaces. At least one switch is usually located at or on the unit to serve as the required servicing disconnecting means.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Don't know of violation of code.
    One time, I place a Decora switch in little tilt out door under sink. You had to open to turn on. You could turn off at switch, closing door also turned off.
    Used small clear rubber bumper, so door closing turns off switch.
    Kind of a safety feature, If you lean over like a kid might do, it shuts off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does Kitchen Sink Sprayer Go On Same Side As Garbage Disposal? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a double bowl kitchen sink. Does the sprayer go on same bowl as the garbage disposal or on the opposite bowl?

Kitchen sink/disposal/dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

I have an aunt who lives in Florida that has a garbage disposal and a dishwasher. She says she doesn't use the disposal, but it has been used in the past(about 2 or three years ago by previous owners) She is getting a bad smell in her dishwasher. Can you tell me what would be causing it?

Outlet under sink only works with disposal? [ 5 Answers ]

I have two (standard?) outlets under my kitchen sink (brand new apartment building). The garbage disposal is plugged into one of them, and works fine. Switching outlets is fine, too. The disposer works in each. However, no other appliance works in either of the two outlets. I have tried a...

Sink backs up only when disposal is on [ 1 Answers ]

I have just moved into a condo built in 1974 that has a double kitchen sink with disposal. The water drains fine through both drains when running the water or draining a filled sink, but when I run the disposal, it backs up in the other sink. I have a dishwasher that is seldom used connected to the...

Kitchen disposal [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leaky disposal and it is leaking in 2 spots. We would like to replace the disposal. Is this something that can easily be done we do have a dishwasher also that goes into the disposal. I would appreciate your input and also any suggestions that you may have. Thanks Busymomof3

View more questions Search