Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ironhead3fan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Gurgling toilet
    Whenever anyone flushes my second floor bathroom toilet, I have gurgling in the bathtub in the same bathroom, and also have that same gurgling in the kitchen sink (1st floor). I am on a septic system. When the septic tank is first pumped, no gurgling until about a week later. I am guessing that it is because of the level of waste in the tank. Is my problem with the vent pipe connect to that upstairs toilet? Toilet always flushes fine, just with that annoying gurgling sound.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2007, 07:35 AM
    The "gurgle" indicates a vent problem. Let me explain about vents. When you flush a toilet or drain a fixture a suction is created by the water rushing down the pipe. This suction is relieved by a open pipe that runs to the outside called a vent. When a vent's stopped up the suction has to relieve itself somewhere, in this case your tub and kitchen sink. The noise you hear is the air being pulled through the trap by suction. Go up on the roof and shine a light down the lavatory vent. I've seen birds nests, dead birds and critters caught down there and if you can't see anything you're going have to snake out the lavatory vent. Let out enough cable to get to the base and then put out enough to get to the main house sewer. Good luck, Tom
    ironhead3fan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 02:48 PM
    I have done that already, with my 25' auger. Looks like I might have to call a plumber for this one. Thanks for the tip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backing Up and Gurgling [ 1 Answers ]

My septic system is backing up when it rains. When the washing machine drains it gurgles in the commode, and backs up in the bathtub. I think it is the drain line in my drain field; the water that comes back in the tube is soppy or clear most of the time My question is do I need to put in a new...

Shower bubbling and gurgling ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Just had a new toilet & shower put in. The shower uses EasyDrain (which has its own little U-bend water trap to hold water and prevent sewer gas coming into the shower)... the problem is that when the toilet is flushed, it goes down in about 10 seconds (ie too slow, not taking stuff...

Gurgling toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We have a lift pump in the basement. Whenever the washer empties, our upstairs toilet Gurgles up a lot. We've had the septic taken care of and pipes in the basement replaced and it still does this. The vent pipes were supposedly taken care of too. We are stumped. Any help would be...

Bathroom sink gurgling [ 2 Answers ]

Our master bathroom sink is gurgling. What is the problem and what should we do?

Gurgling Perhaps? [ 3 Answers ]

New to this, but from what I have read, this is the right place to be. New Home, so I would assume that there is no clogging. When we flush a toilet in one bathroom (upstairs), gurgling occurrs. We can hear it from the shower drains (both of the upstairs' showers). Air pockets are emitted...

View more questions Search