Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clayvis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 06:23 PM
    I have a 4 month old American Standard toilet. I installed it myself, and did everything by the book. It flushes like a champ, but recently has developed a stinky fish oil smell in the bowl! It is NOT a sewer smell. When I first smelled this, I cleaned the bowl with Lime Away Toilet Bowl Cleaner. The smell went away for a week, then came back. Cleaned it again and the smell came back the next day! I am over this! It smells awful! I have located the receipt from Lowe's, and may just yank it and haul it in there and... It is a Cadet 3 model. I remember reading on the box that it had some kind of anti-bacterial coating or something. Could that be the problem? HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Good place to start, in the tank. You could just just add a cup of bleach to the tank, flush and add another cup to let stand in the tank over night. Repeat this several times. Kohler has a site, ask them too. American Standard - Compact Cadet® 3 Right Height? EL Toilet w/seat - Product Details
    Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try. It really smells like the bowl itself stinks, but I isn't about to dip water out of it and smell it! I will try bleach first. Still don't think I should have to do this on a 4 month old toilet.

Thanks guys. I tried the bleach in the tank last night. So far so good... I will let you know if the smell returns.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 06:30 PM

Have you tried dropping in a chlorine tablet in the tank. Like the blue water kind?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 09:28 PM

Good place to start, in the tank. You could just just add a cup of bleach to the tank, flush and add another cup to let stand in the tank over night. Repeat this several times. Kohler has a site, ask them too. American Standard - Compact Cadet® 3 Right Height? EL Toilet w/seat - Product Details

You should not have too but mold and all sortsd of junk can grow on almost any surface. Also, don't forget to contact AS complaint dept.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 24, 2010, 08:24 PM

Another thing that can make a new toilet smell is if at the factory they coated the flapper valve with something to help keep it soft and now its coming off ( washing off ) when you flush. Rubber can have a smell like your saying too. And it just may need some time to aclimate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

American Standard [ 16 Answers ]

How to remove shower valve american standard

Stinky toilet [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am having this issue with a stinky toilet... I clean my house every Saturday and this includes my bathroom/toilet. I usually clean with bleach. This 'stinky' problem started about 2 months ago and no matter what I do, I cannot seem to find the 'stinky' problem... do you have any suggestions?...

Bouncing flapper American Standard toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I have an American Standard one-piece low boy elongated toilet that was installed originally in 1956. About 6 months ago I replaced the flapper. It bounced a little so I glued a penney to it and until recently it has worked fine. Now it bounces ( rapidly ) and keeps the water running as it won't...

American Standard Plebe toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

Getting old I guess, anyone know the tank to bowl bolt spread on a American Standard Plebe (the old ones), can't remember if 51/4 or 51/2 inches.

View more questions Search