Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ag64 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Replace cast iron flange?
    Hi!

I'm new to the site, and have found tons of useful information, but I now have several possible routes to take, and I don't know which one will be best for me.

I am retiling my bathroom, and I have a cast iron flange that is much too high and has a crack in it. I've read that I can lower the flange, break off the escess, and then creat a sokum and lead joint, but I don't have the proper tools. Because the flange has a crack I should probably replace it anyway. If I'm going to replace it, I'm guessing I should switch over to PVC, but I could be wrong. :o

A little more background: the bath is above an unfinished basement, with easy access to the main drain. There is roughly 3' before the toilet drain pipe connects to an elbow with a heel outlet. I believe the pipe is 4".

Here are my possible plans:

#1- Cut the cast iron from the basement, drop the pvc down from above, and connect it with a no-hub band. If I go this route, I would be using a sawzall, is there a special blade to use, or should I score the pipe before starting? I know the cast iron is brittle, so I'm thinking of starting up close to the bath floor in case it breaks, then I can start a new cut below it?

# 2- Find an easier way to fasten the existing flange, and buy a repair flange piece to cover the crack?

#3- Where the pipe meets the elbow is it threaded? If so, is there a tool that aids in unthreading it, and could I thread in PVC?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Andy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 12, 2006, 02:56 PM
    Hi Andy,

While your way would work a much simpler way would be to break off the flange, remove the lead and oakum joint, bring the stub-up down to grade and install a inside closet flange that needs no lead joint. Sound like a plan? Tom

Oct 13, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Thanks Tom! :) I actually got most of my information from your answers to other questions. I was a little tardy posting my question, and had to go at it before I received your post. I ended up renting a chain soil pipe cutter from the local HD, and picked upa No-hub band to convert to 4"PVC. I would like to use an offset flange to give me a little more leg room from the side wall, but it isn't totally necessary; is that a bad idea? I don't know if they should only be used as a last resort. My subfloor for tile is in place, so I won't be able to move the pipe over at this point. If I only knew last week I would end up removing the soil pipe, I'd be all set. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20.

Do you happen to have any experience pouring self leveling concrete? I am pondering how to install a dam around the flange. I would like to pour the concrete-install tile, then slide the pipe down from above and make my cuts so the flange rests perfectly on the finished floor.

Thanks again Tom, you're the man!
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2006, 07:21 AM
    What kind of a off set are we talking about? The only experience I Have with cement is patching the holes I made myself. Sorry, I can't help with that. Regards, Tom

Oct 13, 2006, 08:14 AM
    My goal is to get the toilet a couple inches away from the left side wall. HD only had a 3" offset PVC flange, but I would need a 4", which I hope I would be able to pick up at a plumming supply store. The hole in the subfloor is a few inches larger than it needs to be so I should have the room, but I don't know if using offset flanges is frowned upon by pro's like yourself. If the offset flange puts me at great risk of problems down the road, I'll just deal with my leg being close to the wall.

Thanks again! :)
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 13, 2006, 12:11 PM
    A four inch off set is quite a bit. I draw the line at two inches. In drainage the cardinal rule is, "straight is better," the more turns the more the flow's impeded. If you're a big guy and need the room then by all means offset but if you don't need the extra room I would go with a regular flange. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Offset Closet Flange for Cast Iron? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My cast iron waste pipe centerline is 11 inches from the finished wall. It worked with my old toilet (since disposed of) but won't work for my new Kohler. Is there an offset for cast iron that is easy to install? BTW, the floor was tiled and the old closet flange had an extra flange as a...

Rotating Toilet 90 degrees on Cast Iron Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom in a 60s vintage home with adequated crawl space. I need to rotate the toilet flange 90 degrees to install the new toilet as the orientation has changed with the remodel. The materials of construction for plumbing is cast iron. I am keeping the same elevation of floor....

Cast Iron Toilet Flange Problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have read forums on having the cast iron toilet flange being too high after tile removal. I have some additional questions on this: 1. After removing the Thick set Mortar, the flange is 1 " above the subfloor. Can I just add different types of underlayment to reach the flange (i.e....

Remove cast iron flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a plastic (fiberglass?) shower pan with a new one. I have the existing pan free from the walls and subfloor, but it is still being held in place by the drain flange (I did remove the strainer!). The flange appears to be cast iron (it is very rusted inside) and is about 4 inches...

Shower flange"cast iron" [ 3 Answers ]

I have a stand alone shower on a slab foundation that leaked I pulled the floor out and the cast iron flange for the liner is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. How do I go about this and where do I get the parts.

View more questions Search