Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    williamalbaugh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Toilet backs up
    I live in single story house and I have 2 toilets. Yesterday my wife flushed her toilet in her room and the water barley came back up. So she flushed again and it started to overflow in both toilets. Then the main bathroom toilet only has a problem. If you flush both toilets only the main toilet backs up. We've never had this before. We tried using a snake but that didn't work. Any solutions?:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 11, 2006, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by williamalbaugh
    I live in single story house and I have 2 toilets. Yesterday my wife flushed her toilet in her room and the water barley came back up. So she flushed again and it started to overflow in both toilets. Then the main bathroom toilet only has a problem. If you flush both toilets only the main toilet backs up. Weve never had this before. We tried using a snake but that didnt work. Any solutions?:confused:
    That depends upon what type of snake you're using and where you snaked from. A few questions. City sewer or septic tank? Any other fixtures backing up? Washer? Sink? Can you locate the outside clean out?
    You have a blockage downstream from the master bath. What I'm attempting to find out with these questions is just where the blockage is and where you will have to snake from to clear it. I'll wait on your reply. Tom
    williamalbaugh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2006, 11:12 AM
    Toilet backs up still
    Okay we have a septic system. And now every time we use the sink or shower the water backs up through the toilet. We were using a 25 ft snake but now were going to try the 50 ft one to see if that works. The water that backs up is clean though so is that good?:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 11, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by williamalbaugh
    Okay we have a septic system. And now every time we use the sink or shower the water backs up through the toilet. We were using a 25 ft snake but now were going to try the 50 ft one to see if that works. The water that backs up is clean though so is that good?:confused:
    Have you checked The cleanout to see if water backs up out of it when you flush. You're going to have to isolate the problem before you even began to repair it. Your septic tank may need to be pumped or your clog may be in the house main or the line to the tank. But you'll never know until you check. Either open up the inspection ports in the tank or check at the clean out. Let me know. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement floor drain backs up [ 5 Answers ]

We recently had a problem with our basement floor drain backing up when we took a shower or used the washer. We paid $350.00 for someone to come roto-rooter the main sewer line out to the street. He used the trap next to the basement stairs inside to clean out. He pulled out a ton of roots and ran...

Basement floor drain backs up [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! We recently purchased our first home built in 1956. We have had a couple of plumbing issues arise so far. First, the kitchen sink wouldn't drain. We took all the pipes off the wall (there was nothing in the trap) and ran the roto rooter thing (no plumbing experience obviously! ) down. It...

Sink backs up only when disposal is on [ 1 Answers ]

I have just moved into a condo built in 1974 that has a double kitchen sink with disposal. The water drains fine through both drains when running the water or draining a filled sink, but when I run the disposal, it backs up in the other sink. I have a dishwasher that is seldom used connected to the...

Washer backs up [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, First let me say that I am a complete novice to plumbing, I have just bought my first house and am trying to save money by fixing as many things myself that I can. My problem is that anytime the washer drains it overflows the drain pipe, even just running a garden hose in the pipe...

Washer Drain Backs Up when Spinning [ 3 Answers ]

Help! Every time the washer spins out it backs up and squirts out the top of the drain. I've been told that it might be a clogged air duct. I ran water from my hose done the airduct on the roof for about 15 minutes and it seems to be clear. I've also ran draino down the pipe and it still backs...

View more questions Search