Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aj3377 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Do I call a plumber or Septic Tank Co?
    About 2 years ago I had my septic tank pumped due to backup of leaves and dirt in my shower and toilet. He said that I had a root problem. He cut as far as he could. After that, everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago. I noticed that every time I washed clothes the kitchen sink would gurgle and a little soapy or clear water would come up. Also, even when I have no water running, I can sometimes hear a gurgle in my washer drain pipe. In the past couple of days, the toilet has been gurgling when I'm taking a shower. I just want to know who I should call first, a plumber or septic tank company. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2007, 10:38 AM
    The septic tank guy could pump your tank and inspect the system but he doesn't usually rod the lines from the house to a tank. If this is a reoccurring root problem I'm not confident even good rodding will give you a permanent fix. You may need to replace the main line to the tank and that is a septic guys area. If the root have reinvaded your line they will continue to do so because they have found a fault in the pipe or tile. I'd also start looking at my landscaping when they replace the tile. You may need to cut down the culprit.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 07:56 PM
    How far is the septic tank from the house? What is the actual distance of the drain/ sewage pipe to the tank? Is there a 2 way cleanout tee on the drain pipe outside the home but before the tank?
    Believe it or not, some tank installers and some plumbers do not glue the connecting pipe to the tank from the home. The distance should be minimal. Let the septic company do it, they may be less expensive, and they can handle both the tank and the connecting pipe. Request a 2 way cleanout tee on the drain pipe outside.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic Tank [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a house 2 years ago that was approximately 2 years old. It has a septic tank. Lately I've been smelling an odor in my master bathroom (stronger in the morning) and now I'm starting to smell it in my master bedroom. The master bedroom and bath are on the opposite side of the house from...

Where is my septic tank? [ 12 Answers ]

Closing on my 1st house soon and I want to find out the condition of the tank.. unfortunately the seller is just flipping the house so he doesn't know.. generally how far and how deep are septic tanks.. I see a very big cast iron pipe in the basement leading out.are the tanks always in a straight...

Septic tank worries? [ 1 Answers ]

Here lately, whenever our washing machine drains, both our toilets start bubbling, and the toilet off our Master Bedroom, closest to the washer, reeks of raw sewage. We do have a septic tank which was cleaned back in 2001. Do you think it needs to be cleaned again? We originally thought we had a...

Shallow Septic Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi again, Because of the height of the water table, my new septic tank will be very shallow. The top will be at about ground level, and the entry to the tank will be 7 inches below grade. I'm worried about running a drain to it at the right pitch. The house is on a slab, with the existing...

New Septic Tank design [ 1 Answers ]

Hi again, One of my last posts was asking for help looking for the septic tank in a 30 year old house we just bought. They used an electronic egg to find the tank. Well, we found it. The tank is under the concrete slab of the house. An addition was added to the house, right over the tank. ...

View more questions Search