Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aogos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Hot Cold Water Tank?
    Hiya all,

Can anyone tell me, even a good guess, what might be happening here. We have an indirect boiler system (the hot tank refilling from the cold tank in the attic). I recently noticed we had terrible condensation in the attic. We regularly go up there and have never seen any previously. After a good look around, it appears that the vent pipe is filling the cold water tank with a steady stream of hot water. This only occurs a short time after the heating is switched on but continues to do so until the heating is switch off. We've lived in the house for over 10 years and it's never happened before so we are a little concerned about what's going on. In recent weeks, I have changed a leaking radiator downstairs for a new larger one but did nothing more than shut off the water supply and drain the system to do so. I've called in two plumbers so far but both have failed to turn up so are at a loss what to do :(

As a short term solution we've moved the vent pipe to just over the water tank and then covered both with polystyrene. Now the steam from the hot water just vents outside so at least the attic is no longer getting condensation.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2007, 10:13 AM
    I'm not real sure of your problem. I think the tank is an expansion tank, not a refill tank. Make sure it is not a loose, rusty or plugged flue pipe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

Hot water tank is cold, radiators working [ 2 Answers ]

I recently turned the water off to repair a pipe which I had accedently hammered a nail through. When I turned the water back on everything worked fine, but I've now noticed that when I put the heating on, the radiators all work but the water in the hot water tank doesn't heat up. Water comes out...

Cold Water Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Help! The ball-valve on my cold water tank never completely closes, so water is constantly running into the tank. The tank should logically overflow because the water does not stop completely, but it doesn't. I have replaced the ball valve and the problem still exists. Turns out the cold...

Hot water entering cold tank [ 11 Answers ]

The cold tank was overflowing. I changed the diaphragm valve, but the tank still overflowed. I then noticed that water was entering the cold water tank from the hot tank feed! The water in the cold tank was tepid and not cold! Time to call in the plumber! The plumber noticed that even when...

View more questions Search