Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tarfu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Stopped the infection but...
    Ok, hope you guys can help. First.. running xp with sp2, norton systemworks premier 2006, licensed version of ad-aware by lavasoft, microsofts defender. One of them caught a malware trying to install and I had the program stop and remove. Now, whenever I start up, I get a 'winlogon.exe has failed to start. -AZ.dll could not be found. There is a square symbol between the - and the A, I just can't get it to replicate. This same file message comes up every now and then on other files, but program still runs. I also have System mechanic 6. Even in safe mode, nortons nor lavasoft nor defender fines anything. Winlogon still runs. Any idea what file is corrupted, or where I can find the thread. Nothing in regedit either. Thanks.. no one else has any idea except 'start from scratch'.. ugh.. and no.. Can't restore to previous point either.. dang it..
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2006, 12:38 AM
    Hmmm sounds like the spyware that was being installed wasn't dealt with completely. I'd try ensuring you have the latest definitions for Ad-Aware, then try restarting in Safe Mode. Run a spyware scan there and see if it picks anything else up. You'll often find running a spyware scan in safe mode will pick up more than it does in regular mode.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 25, 2006, 03:01 AM
    As well as LT's excllent advice it may also be worth trying another Anti Spyware App such as Spybot S&D.
    Like Anti Virus apps Anti Spyware apps scan in different ways from each other.
    So a second, or in this case third option is always worth trying.

There has been a lot of testing of Anti spyware apps and it has been found that one of the best combos to use is Adaware and Spybot together.
    Tarfu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Great.. thanks guys.. I sort of figured it was looking for the virus file but couldn't find it.. will download spybot and give it a go as well.. it definitely can't hurt things... the more protection the merrier I guess...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with yeast infection [ 6 Answers ]

I am 24 years old and I have been having a recurring yeast infection for the past 5 months. It first started when I was on some antibiotics. I went to my doctor and they prescribed monistat. It cleared the infection up within a week. However, about 5 weeks later, around my period, my infection...

Infection? [ 3 Answers ]

SEX I started seeing someone that I really like! We've moved into a sexual relationship! This is my FIRST real sexual relationship, but not his. It's been about three weeks and we've had sex at several times a week! Now I'm itching like crazy! It's not the whole area just the area around the...

Penis Infection? [ 7 Answers ]

Ok here's the story... this probably started a day after masturbation 4 weeks back... at first the tip of my foreskin got very very dry/red... after a week or two this passed and my foreskin went back to normal... but... the head of my penis under the foreskin looks a little red on the sides... and...

Ear infection [ 6 Answers ]

My dog has an ear infection and the vet prescribed some ear drops. I was wondering if what Labman suggested for cleaning the ears can be done easily or should I have someone show me first then do it on my own. I really would hate to screw up his hearing or balance in case I poke something in the...

Infection while getting crown [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is in middle of getting a crown fitted. Last week he felt ill and now after he came down with a high fever we found that his gums/tongue/mouth is infected. Is this normal? Can this be caused by the hygiene of the dentist. The dentist claims -- trust him -- and take the antibiotic...

View more questions Search