After the toilet flushes and fills up
    Then shuts off
    The pipes under the house start shaking rattling, hammering
    Why
    [email protected]
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2007, 09:39 AM
    This is called "water hammer" and is caused by water slamming into elbos. Your air chambers need recharging. Let me show you how. Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill.

This could also be "seat chatter" in the toilet ballcock, but since it affects pipes under the house and not the toilet tank I would check and recharge your air chambers. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Tom is 100% correct if this is just one hammer noise. If it is a rattle or several hammers I think your valve is fluttering and not shuting down completely. If you can't figure how to open the ballcock and inspect the seat just install an entirely new ballcock but don't buy the cheapest one on the shelf. I still like good old brass ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine fills up but does not start [ 8 Answers ]

Hi... I have a Whirlpool washing machine that is 3 years old... It fills up, but after it is full it does not do anything... dead... tried to move to different cycles... on an off but it seems totally dead... lid is down but curiously the switch on the rim where the lid makes contact when it...

Hammering pipes [ 6 Answers ]

I'm living in a house 3.5 years old. Over the last 2 months I've starting having a problem with one bathroom sink. It's located on the main floor. When using the hot water faucet at about 1/2 open, the pipes hammer. The pipes are hammering in the bathroom itself. It does not occur on the cold...

Hammering in pipes [ 2 Answers ]

In order to clear a sink drain clog in an upstairs bathroom this weekend, I needed to remove the shutoff valves to get clearance to remove the P trap. This entailed turning off valves in the basement for the lines that supplied the upstairs bathroom. Everything went back together again and, after...

View more questions Search