Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jul 28, 2011, 06:56 PM
    Roof vents and fans
    Question on the combination of roof vents, power roof ventilator (PV) and whole house fan (WHF).

My house is a mid-60's bilevel with bed & baths on the upper level, crawl space and hip roof.

I had a new PV with temp & humidistat installed along with the new roof. The installer said I didn't need roof vents with a PV, but had them installed anyway since the hall mounted WHF needs to vent. After watching some home improvement shows and doing some research, it looks like the PV could/will pull air from the roof vents rather than the eve vents. Since the WHF needs to vent I can't seal the roof vents. The house isn't that big so I'm sure that the PV is drawing air from those vents. Any way to solve this problem? Or is there any way to test the air draw at the vents versus the eves, etc??

Check out some similar questions!

How to tell if bathroom vents backed up without getting on 30 foot roof [ 3 Answers ]

How to tell if bathroom vents backed up without getting on 30 foot roof

Gable vs Roof vents [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house without soffit or ridge vents. I do have gable vents. Attic is way too hot anytime but winter. What is the best way to vent the attic? I haven't been able to find an answer without having soffit vents as a given.

Turbine roof vents [ 7 Answers ]

I have roof vents, on my metal roof which are of the turbine type. One of them leaks during heavy rain, which we have had recently. I have been on the roof, and I can't find any area around the vent which needs any sealing. Is it conceiveable that the vent itself is leaking? I have three vents...

Roofers covered 1 of 3 roof vents for sewer [ 4 Answers ]

Our house is an older house, I was putting in a ceiling fan and had to remove some drywall over a closet. I noticed that a vent pipe (for kitchen) had fallen on the top of the closet. The pipe had a elbow in it hat had rusted (bad salt air problem here), when they were putting the new roof on...

Septic stink outside house from roof vents [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, We had a completely new septic tank and drain field put in about a month ago. The old septic was four inch cinder block and the pipe ran under a retaining wall to the house. They said that after they crushed the old septic they could not get to the house because of the wall. I'm not sure where...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.