Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hwellerstein Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Washer Dryer Hook-up
    I just inherited my sister's 8 year old washer and dryer (gas). The super came by and told us he would need to replace some of the hook-ups, for a total of $170. That seems a little bit expensive. Is that a normal price to replace the washer hoses, necessary clamps and valves, the gas line, etc? Thank you!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2006, 09:51 AM
    I'd be leery. If there were already hookups there for gas, then the landlord should be responsible for having their hookups in working order.

I'd ask him to explain why he would need to replace the hook-ups that are there.

Mar 8, 2006, 11:00 AM
    Rick, thanks for the quick answer. My landlord is a jerk and will fight to the death before he spends any money. Would it really be the landlord's responsibility to replace the water hoses connecting to the washer and the gas dryer connector? He also mentioned something about a shut-off valve and a nipple. Even if he did have to replace all those things, isn't $170 too steep? Thank you!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 8, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hwellerstein
    Rick, thanks for the quick answer. My landlord is a jerk and will fight to the death before he spends any money. Would it really be the landlord's responsibility to replace the water hoses connecting to the washer and the gas dryer connector? He also mentioned something about a shut-off valve and a nipple. Even if he did have to replace all those things, isn't $170 too steep? Thank you!
    Unless your landlord owns the appliances in question the responsibly, (and the expense) of maintenance and upkeep is yours and if he does own the appliances then the responsibility of upkeep plus the burden of paying for it falls on him. Since you own the appliances Your landlord has no business dictating what must be replaced, who must replace it and how uich you'll be charged. The gas line should have its own shut off already there just after it comes out of the wall. $170.00 for less then $10.00 worth of material and much less then a hour to install it. That's outrageous! Your landlord not only sounds like a jerk, in my opinion, he sounds like like a jerk that's less then honest. Please keep me informed of events. Regards, tom
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2006, 12:53 PM
    Right on.

As for the landlord, if he already has the gas line for a gas dryer hookup, then it is his responsibility to have a shutoff and nipple already on it. You can buy the water hoses that attach to his spigots yourself and save a bunch.

So in short, yes, he's trying to take advantage of you. You should NOT have to pay unless there's not already a gas hookup there - and in that case, yes, he can charge you to run one there and put a stop and nipple on it.

Mar 10, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Guys, thank you for the responses! You confirmed my initial feelings about the situation. In the lease, the landlord promises to provide a washer and dryer hookup and the hookups are already there and seem to be in working condition. I think the super is trying to make money off the situation. I'm currently trying to reach the landlord directly to let him know I'm not paying a cent for any work done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portable washer/dryer [ 5 Answers ]

I have a portable washer/dryer combo machine which is connected to the kitchen sink when in use. A faucet adapter is for the connection. The faucet adapter seems to work well when connecting the hose to the faucet, however, it is very difficult to disconnect the hose after the washer/dryer cycle...

Installing Washer Dryer hook-up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there- We just put in offer in on a 3 unit building with two other couples. There is a laundry hook-up in the basement in a common area but all of us would rather have an in unit set-up. Our unit is on the top floor of 3 and has a very large kitchen complete with “Austin Powers-esque” wet bar....

Washer hook ups in detached garage [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to move my washer and electric dryer from their present location off the kitchen, to the back inside wall of my detached garage. It is approx. 35' from the back of the house, to the location in the garage. My house has no basement, but has a crawl space underneath. I 've checked...

Washer/dryer Problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have recently moved my washer/dryer and now the drying programme doesn't work - I keep getting an error message. I think it may be because the hose pipe doesn't go far enoughdown the external pipe. Sorry I'm not a plumber as you can see so I hope you understand what I mean. Any ideas? ...

Washer/dryer installation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am very interested in a certain older home that has been remodeled. There is weirdness, though. The remodelers installed washer connections where the refrigerator is clearly supposed to go, and the utility closet has a dryer connection (about 15 feet away). I would either want to put the...

View more questions Search