Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajaydesai Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Toilet tank
    I replaced old toilet and tank with new one. While I was tightening tank bolts I heard crack noise one time so I stopped then I heard crack noise one more time again after I stopped. I checked under tank, under toilet and on floor for couple days but I don’t see any crack or leak. What else I can do to rule out crack or leak from tank or toilet?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Do you have tiles on the bathroom floor? Ceramic? Vinyl? Other type of flooring?

Mar 28, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Do you have tiles on the bathroom floor? Ceramic? Vinyl? Other type of flooring?

Vinyl flooring
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 01:15 PM
    That rules out maybe cracking ceramic tiles. That's what I have in my upstairs bathroom. There might be tiny cracks right around the bolts in the toilet. Maybe the bolts were not in absolutely straight. Only making a guess here. Is the toilet upstairs, downstairs or in a basement?

Mar 28, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Upstair

Mar 28, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Crack noise came when I was screwing tank bolts
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Check ceiling underneath toilet for leaks if you have not already done so. If there are no signs of leaks anywhere after a few days, i.e. around the toilet or in the ceiling downstairs, you should be fine.

However, (and this is a hassle) to be absolutely sure you might want to take the toilet off again and put it back on again to inspect it for cracks and make sure that there was not any type of debris under the toilet that could have caused the cracking sounds.

I hope this helps.

Mar 28, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Check ceiling underneath toilet for leaks if you have not already done so. If there are no signs of leaks anywhere after a few days, i.e. around the toilet or in the ceiling downstairs, you should be fine.

However, (and this is a hassle) to be absolutely sure you might want to take the toilet off again and put it back on again to inspect it for cracks and make sure that there was not any type of debris under the toilet that could have caused the cracking sounds.

I hope this helps.
    Crack noise came when tightning tank and not the toilet. If possible crack it would be with tank and not so with toilet. I need help with good way to inpect tank crack and rule it out.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 05:22 PM
    The noise you heard is common. There are particles of sand and loose ceramic and they 'crunch' as you secure the tank.
    To be sure, check the top of the bowl for cracks by peeking from under. If the bowl is cracked it will be obvious.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Tank Cracked [ 28 Answers ]

Toilet tank has a hairline crack along bottom from the mounting bolt and up right hand side about 4 inches and lets water seep out. What can I apply to the inside of the tank to seal the crack? If it cannot be repaired, where can I find replacement ?- It is American Standard, Model Number...

Toilet tank not filling [ 3 Answers ]

Got a mystery here: I just moved into a new house and the toilet tank in the 2 piece bath on the main floor is suddenly not filling. I unscrewed the feed line into the tank and tested to see if there is water flowing through it and there isn't. The sink taps both work fine - just no water into...

Where can I buy a Homart Toilet tank [ 2 Answers ]

I didn't realize my toilet was so rare. I am searching for a Homart toilet tank and can not find one. I live in Baltimore City, MD zip 21231. Any suggestions. I have searched for hours on the internet - to no avail

Toilet tank [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I needed a new toilet tank and I've put it on the bowl. My problem is now when it is flushed, the flapper will not stay open long enough to drain water from bowl. When the lever is pulled, the flapper opens water starts to leave the tank, but then the flapper closes and the tank fills back...

Toilet tank installation [ 2 Answers ]

I'm putting in a Kohler toilet (2 piece) and don't know how tight to put the tank on. Should I still be able to wobble it around or would that be to loose? The problem I am having is that if I tighten all of the three bolts the same the tank is not level front to back (the front is lower than...

View more questions Search