Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rkast Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Toilet tank has trouble refilling
    Ok, so I've tried to do as many searches as I can to give my husband different ideas on how to fix our toilet. He has tried many and none have helped so I ask the great experts (I have read a lot of suggestions but haven't found advice that totally fits mine). So here's the question (and I'm not very technical when it comes to plumbing so you'll get my version):

Once you flush the toilet, it runs. If you give it a few minutes and pick up the floating ball, the toilet stops running. Each time you flush the toilet, the tank fills less and less forcing us to add water to fill the tank because there is not much in there. We've checked for leaks and we have not found any. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Renee':
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Jun 7, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Sounds like you need a new tank valve or a ball float adjustment
    rkast Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rkast
    Ok, so I've tried to do as many searches as I can to give my husband different ideas on how to fix our toilet. He has tried many and none have helped so I ask the great experts (I have read a lot of suggestions but haven't found advice that totally fits mine). So here's the question (and I'm not very technical when it comes to plumbing so you'll get my version):

Once you flush the toilet, it runs. If you give it a few minutes and pick up the floating ball, the toilet stops running. Each time you flush the toilet, the tank fills less and less forcing us to add water to fill the tank because there is not much in there. We've checked for leaks and we have not found any. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Renee':
    Thanks, we'll try that. I'll respond back once we have a chance to do that.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Sounds like the stem and washer assembly's binding in the valve body. The solution is to shut the water off under the tank and unscrew the three screws securing the float ball and stem assembly. Lift it out and coat the stem with a light coating of grease or Vaseline. Now reassemble, turn the water back on and give it a flush. Work better now? If that don't get it simply replace the ballcock. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank not filling [ 3 Answers ]

Got a mystery here: I just moved into a new house and the toilet tank in the 2 piece bath on the main floor is suddenly not filling. I unscrewed the feed line into the tank and tested to see if there is water flowing through it and there isn't. The sink taps both work fine - just no water into...

Toilet tank [ 8 Answers ]

I replaced old toilet and tank with new one. While I was tightening tank bolts I heard crack noise one time so I stopped then I heard crack noise one more time again after I stopped. I checked under tank, under toilet and on floor for couple days but I don’t see any crack or leak. What else I can...

Toilet not refilling immediately [ 2 Answers ]

What would cause my toilet to NOT refil immediately after flushing? It normally takes 2 minutes afterwards. Enough time to wash your hands, leave the bathroom, sit on the couch, and then would you hear the toilet start to refill. With seven in our house, and only two toilets, I need to correct...

Phantom toilet refilling [ 4 Answers ]

Over the last several weeks, I have noticed that the toilet will run for about 10 seconds, although it is not being used. It seems to coincide with using the kitchen or bathtub drains. I'd appreciate any suggestions...

Toilet tank [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I needed a new toilet tank and I've put it on the bowl. My problem is now when it is flushed, the flapper will not stay open long enough to drain water from bowl. When the lever is pulled, the flapper opens water starts to leave the tank, but then the flapper closes and the tank fills back...

View more questions Search