Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpeecee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Tub Overflow drain on a Slab Foundation
    Hi there,

I am currently in the process of remodeling a bathroom in a cottage set on a slab foundation. I discovered that by removing the standup shower and the waterheater that was next to it, I have enough room for a tub. The problem is that the main drain for the shower is not on the same spot I need for the tub. It needs to be moved at least ten inches toward the drain side of the tub. The town sewer drain under the tub is steel/metal. Can I just jack hammer a bit of the slab, making room for the overflow drain, and connect to the metal main drain with PVC? Or is there a more commonly used method among professionals.

Thank You!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2007, 11:23 AM
    "Can I just jack hammer a bit of the slab, making room for the overflow drain, and connect to the metal main drain with PVC?"

Not without running a separate vent you can't. A much better way would be to cut the trap out of the shower drain line and pipe over to where you have jackhammered out a tub dap-out and install a new trap and raiser. That way you could use the showers wet vent. Make your dap-out 14X14".
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Tub drain - slab - leak [ 1 Answers ]

I searched and searched but couldn't find anything here onthis problem Here's my problem - Raised foundation/Slab Florida Home 1949 Construction The junction where the tub overflow and tub drain meet looks disintegrated. There is an area of slab cut away from this and the water is just...

Platform for garden tub on Slab Foundation ? [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased a slab foundation home with a shower-only stall in the master bath. I want to replace the shower with a garden tub without jackhammering up the slab. The layout is such I cannot expand to the sides to allow the tub to be placed in the current location of the shower. (Side wall...

Using existing tub drain line in concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new whirlpool tub in place of an existing conventional tub. The old sink drain terminates into a concrete slab. The new sink drain will be at least 2 feet from the old. What are my options? Is there anyway of tieing in the new drain into the old drain without taking up all the...

Hooking up drain for shower/tub on concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a unfinished bathroom in the basement on a cement slab. The rough in plubming is in place with a about a 12x12 hole in the cement. How do I hook up the drain to the Ptrap. I do not have access from the side wall. Do I need to cut an access hole in the adjacent room?

View more questions Search