Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imwings Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Water heater- gas line to pressure valve?
    I'm inspecting a house and found a water heater installation I've never seen before.
    The pressure relief valve is on top of the water heater, and it has an IN and OUT.
    The gas line is connected to the IN, and the OUT goes to the water heater manifold.:eek:
    Can this be right? Normally I see a P&T valve with just a discharge to connect the overflow pipe to.

Anyone see this before? Is it code for residential?

Thanks
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 22, 2008, 05:24 PM

Yes, it is nothing unusual. Some plumbers install it this way in some parts of the country. We don't because Code doesn't require us to...

Why is it plumbed that way ? Well if your T&P valve releases water because of high water pressure or high temperature, it kills the gas supply. It is installed that way for safety reasons. If you call Sears to install your heater, they will plumb it that way. Btw: is that a Kenmore heater ?

Don't worry about it. All is installed the way it should be with without compromising your safety and/or equipment.
    imwings Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 10:03 AM

The only problem with your explantion is this valve is in place of a T&P valve. There is NO way for water to escape the water heater in the event of over temp/pressure.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 23, 2008, 11:05 AM
    A picture would be helpful at this point. Regards, tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by imwings View Post
    The only problem with your explantion is this valve is in place of a T&P valve. There is NO way for water to escape the water heater in the event of over temp/pressure.
    That valve you see is T&P valve. Water "escapes" into gas line...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Gas water heater pressure release valve leaking water [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a slight issue with my gas water heater. It's a AO Smith 32.75 gallon type. All of a sudden, water is coming out of the relief valve pipe. I have placed a coffee can there, and I have to empty it out every few hours now. Im not sure where to turn for this one, as I have...

Hot Water Heater Pressure Valve [ 3 Answers ]

Every year when we go on vacation I turn the water off to the house. Last year we noticed that the carpet in the basement which is next to the closet that houses the hot water heater was damp after returning home and turning the water back on. We did not notice any water on the floor next to the...

Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve [ 1 Answers ]

Private Message: Water heater pressure relief valve Today, 06:15 PM Kenvirani New Member Join Date: May 2008 Posts: 0 Water heater pressure relief valve --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pressure relief valve / water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leaking valve on my waterheater , do I need to replace pressure valve , if so what is correct way of doing so ?

View more questions Search