Kitchen faucet stopped working after using the sprayer

Asked Jan 23, 2011, 01:34 PM 21 Answers
    Hi!!
    Kitchen faucet stopped working after using the spray. Now water is not coming from either of them. It happened to me a few months ago and after a few hours it again started working. No such luck today.
    I checked the following things so far
    1. Water supply is still on. Dishwasher is getting water from the same line.
    2. Opened up the aerator from the faucet. Still no water.
    3. Opened the spray attachment. No water still when I open the liver.

Was reading online that it may be related to diverter valve. Opened the cap on the faucet to find a nut. Went to home depot but could not find a suitable allan wrench to open the nut. I have attached the picture.

Home depot told me that do not carry diverter valves and to contact the manufacturer.
    I tried searching online to find out which brand the faucet might be (as there is nothing written on the faucet), but could not find the exact model (though found similar models) on kohler, delta, moen , Price Pfister.

Any ideas on next steps.
    Any guess on the brand based on the attached picture.
    Any suggestions on how to open the nut.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    hkstroud's Avatar
    hkstroud Posts: 10,079, Reputation: 746
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

#2

Jan 23, 2011, 02:46 PM

Don't recognize the brand but you probably have debris trapped in the faucet but the nut probably requires a metric Allen wrench.
    massplumber2008's Avatar
    massplumber2008 Posts: 11,882, Reputation: 1116
    Plumbing Expert

#3

Jan 23, 2011, 05:03 PM

HI guys...

That's a PEGASUS contemporary series faucet that is model #856 0111 in CHROME PLATE (lifetime warranty)... your model number would be slightly different... probably just add a BN for brushed nickel. If you look at the mixer valve on the left (single lever valve), I'm betting if you look super close that you will see PEGASUS in really small script writing... let me know.

Home depot sold this brand faucet so you will need to contact the manufacturer and e-mail them a picture of the faucet so they can send you a replacement SPRAY DIVERTER. At the same time, have them send you the instructions on this as I believe the spray diverter is in the mixer on the left... not the spout, but I am not 100% sure on that...

With all that being said, it seems to me that the issue is more likely to be at the mixer cartridge itself... not just the spray diverter as both the spray and the faucet are involved, you know? I'd disassemble the mixer valve on the left there (shut off water below) and then clean all parts, and pulse hot and cold shutoffs from inside the cabinet to on (towel over mixer) to clear the lines. Reassemble and check your work. It could actually be that you need a new MIXER CARTRIDGE.. maybe?

You can reach the warranty/parts department at:

1-877-580-5682.

If they insist on a model number try using the model number I posted as it is the same faucet... just different finish is all... right? Otherwise, ask if you can e-mail a photo... that should work, too.

Let me know how you make out, OK?

Mark
    tarung's Avatar
    tarung Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

#4

Jan 24, 2011, 05:02 AM
    Do you happen to have a link or photo of PEGASUS model #856 0111. It tried searching for this model but could not find a link with the photo. I will try calling them today.

Also, you mentioned about cleaning the mixer cartridge. Any ideas on how to open the mixer valve. The screw on the top of the mixer valve does not seem to come off easily. The spout screw came off easily by hand as shown in the picture.
    tarung's Avatar
    tarung Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

#5

Jan 24, 2011, 05:04 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    HI guys...

Home depot sold this brand faucet so you will need to contact the manufacturer and e-mail them a picture of the faucet so they can send you a replacement SPRAY DIVERTER. At the same time, have them send you the instructions on this as I believe the spray diverter is in the mixer on the left... not the spout, but I am not 100% sure on that... ;)

1-877-580-5682.

Let me know how you make out, OK?

Mark
    tarung's Avatar
    tarung Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

#6

Jan 24, 2011, 05:04 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    HI guys...

1-877-580-5682.

Let me know how you make out, OK?

Mark
    massplumber2008's Avatar
    Plumbing Expert

#7

Jan 24, 2011, 05:30 AM

Here is a photo of it in oiled bronze... see image.

The image was found at this link:

Pegasus Faucets | Pegasus Kitchen Faucets | Pegasus Bathroom Faucets | Pegasus Vanities | Buy Now at eFaucets.com

The image will be in the upper left hand corner, but there is no link provided for it.

In terms of accessing the mixer valve, the top just spins out like the other one does... under the cap is a screw/washer and the rest disassembles pretty easy!

Also, did you find the small pegasus name in script on the front/bottom of the mixer valve as I mentioned... just curious?

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

tarung's Avatar
    tarung Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

#8

Jan 24, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Hey Mark,

Thanks for your help. I was able to call the customer service at Pegasus this morning. They will send out the sprayer and mixer valve. I will have to disconnect the existing sprayer and mixer valve and install the new one.

I got in beneath the sink yesterday, there is not too much space in there with garbage disposal. What kind of tool should I use to unscrew the mixer and sprayer. I will post a picture (under the sink)later in the evening to give specifics. Want to make sure what tool to look for when I go to HD.

Also, based on my pictures (attached earlier), can the sprayer and mixer valve removed from the top.

Note: Looked real closely yesterday with a mirror, but could not find Pegasus written on the mixer valve.

Thanks

Tarun

Thanks

Tarun
    massplumber2008's Avatar
    Plumbing Expert

#9

Jan 24, 2011, 12:12 PM

They make a tool called a BASIN WRENCH (see image) that is used for faucet installations... available at all home improvement stores. Ridgid makes the best model as you can collapse or extend for even longer depths (not shown).

And having installed 2 of these faucets I am confident that you CANNOT remove the faucet from the top of the sink... gonna need to climb in and under the sink. Sometimes you just need to drop the disposal to make getting at this stuff easier, but that will depend on the piping arrangement under the sink and just how stubborn you are...

Let me know the result, OK?

Glad if we helped!

Mark
    Attached Images

tarung's Avatar
    tarung Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

#10

Jan 25, 2011, 04:55 AM
    Mark,

Thanks, I will check out the tool. I was thinking that since the it will take about a week for Pegasus to deliver the replacement , I will try opening the mixer valve and see if cleaning the cartridge and diverter assembly may start the water temporarily.

I was able to open up the mixer valve cap and found the screw. I was able to remove the screw as well, but could not go any further. I have attached the image below. I tried pulling the handle, but that didn't come off. Any ideas ?

Kitchen faucet & sprayer not working properly [ 7 Answers ]

When we use our kitchen sprayer, a small stream of water still comes out of the faucet... help... we have a home inspection soon:mad:

How do I replace kitchen faucet sprayer with a undersink water filter faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a old kitchen kitchen faucet with attached sprayer. I want to install a Culligan undersink filter which comes with a water faucet that REPLACES the sprayer. I have very limited room under the sink to work in. I cannot even get any normal open end wrenches/adjustibles to work with limited...

Kitchen faucet not working but sprayer does [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sink was working fine and then 5 minutes later the faucet was not working at all but the sprayer was working fine. What do I do? >Moved from Forum Help<

Kitchen Faucet Sprayer On - Main Faucet not totally off [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a new house - new construction. When we use the sprayer in the kitchen faucet, water comes out the sprayer as it is supposed to, but the water does not completely shut off in the main faucet. There is still a thin column of water coming out. We had the faucet replaced, and this...

Kitchen Faucet Not working... but sprayer does? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: This faucet was installed by a previous homeowner and I'd like to troubleshoot before diving in or replacing the faucet. This is a compression faucet with a separate sprayer. When you turn on the hot or cold or both, barely a trickle of water comes out of spout. The sprayer works, but...