Floor Drain Installation

Asked Mar 6, 2006, 02:13 PM — 6 Answers
    Hello,

I need some help installing a floor drain. However, the situation is not such a simple one.

The first picture (below) shows the job site. What makes this situation unique is that it is not a tiled or otherwise waterproof floor, nor does the owner plan to do so in the near future; in fact the main purpose of the drain is to be positioned directly underneath the spout of the 25-gallon Cecilware hot water urn to catch any spills (or if some moron turns on the spout without holding a coffee cup underneath it). Rather, the current floor is just wood (and I am not entirely sure how thick it is, although I can find out, if necessary). On the plus side, I have access to the floor from above as well as below - beneath the floor is a more-or-less unfinished basement.

The drain I purchased is a PlumBest D50-001, which I chose (perhaps foolishly) because the label on it advertised it as a "shower/floor drain". I believe it is what Tom usually refers to as a "flange-type shower drain". I found this semi-useful page on the manufacturer's website, which lists a bunch of specs for that particular series of model numbers, but no installation instructions/tips.

So simply put, my question is: how do I install the drain in the floor? What I'm trying to accomplish is to cut a hole in the wood the exact size of the strainer, and install the drain so that the strainer is flush with the floor. Is this possible at all? Will I have to exchange this for a different kind of drain? Or this a lost case altogether?

Thanks,
    Moishe

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by PalmMP3; Mar 6, 2006 at 02:22 PM.
    Please click Rate this Answer! (below) if this post was helpful.

Windows Registry (win’doz rej’i-stre) n. Microsoft's way of putting all your eggs in one basket.
    speedball1's Avatar
    speedball1 Posts: 28,595, Reputation: 1911
    Senior Plumbing Expert

#2

Mar 7, 2006, 05:40 AM

Moshie,

That shower strainer just ain't going to work. Besides,it's the wrong shape for the purpose you intend it for. I poked around the internet and found one that I think may may work better. Zurn has a rectangular drain with a 2" outlet that will accommodate a 2" "P" trap. Click on http://www.zurn.com/pages/catalog.as...4&page=6#p2067
    And scroll to the bottom of the page and check out Z-573 Gutter drain.
    This type of drain will give you more area underthe coffee urn to control spills then a round type drain. Good luck, Tom
    dclynch's Avatar
    dclynch Posts: 190, Reputation: 19

#3

Mar 7, 2006, 07:20 AM
    What about using an overflow pan such as that for a washing machine instead of a drain. Since you are not sloping the floor towards the drain, and a spill might come from an unpredictable direction off the table, a pan would probably offer more security as well as being temporary in case the system is moved or discontinued.
    speedball1's Avatar
    Senior Plumbing Expert

#4

Mar 7, 2006, 07:51 AM

Quote Originally Posted by dclynch

I can see a problem with setting a large wash machine overflow pan on the floor that you have to stand in before you can pour a cup of coffee. Awkward to say the least. Cheers, tom
    PalmMP3's Avatar
    PalmMP3 Posts: 320, Reputation: 28

#5

Mar 7, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Hmmmmmm... I can't seem to find a lot of places selling that online... funny...

Besides, I'd rather buy locally from Lowe's or Home Depot (quicker than waiting for shipping, plus I can return it if necessary). Should I just go to Lowe's/HD and look for a "gutter drain" from any manufacturer, if they have one?

Thanks,
    Moishe
    speedball1's Avatar
    Senior Plumbing Expert

#6

Mar 7, 2006, 03:30 PM

Moishe,
    You're looking for a special application floor drain. I doubt very much if Home Depot even knows what a gutter drain is, let alone carry one. You're not going to find anything any better. It took me damm near a hour of searching the web to come up with that. Buy from Zern or search the net for yourself. Regards, Tom
    PalmMP3's Avatar
    PalmMP3 Posts: 320, Reputation: 28

#7

Mar 7, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Okay, thanks.

Shower Drain Installation [ 3 Answers ]

As part of a remodeling effort, we are having a tiled shower built in our guest bathroom. We had a plumber come out to run the water and drain lines. He installed the drain. Last night I noticed that the hole he cut in the plywood sub flooring is quite a bit larger than the drain, so that...

Shower drain installation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm installing a new shower base that came with a self caulking drain (has a rubber caulking ring that tightens round the 2" waste pipe). When the shower base is in position the drain is ever so slightly off center and I can't get the rubber ring over the waste pipe. The drain is set in...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

Shower drain installation [ 2 Answers ]

Good morning, I am installing a shower floor pan with an integral drain. Should any lubricant be used to install the seal around the 2" drain pipe? Thank you, Jk