Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Finding Distance
    Can someone help me with this question please?

Esther drove to work in the morning at an average speed of 45mph. She returned home
    In the evening along the same route and averaged 30mph. If esther spent a total of one hour commute to and from work, how many miles did esther drive to work in the morning?

Answer is 18 How do we get that?
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Jun 1, 2007, 09:58 AM
    distance = speed * time

you know distance was the same in each and that the sum of the times is 1 hour

these are the equations that you initially know:

since the first two both equal d you can set them equal to each other:
    [math]
    45 * t_{morn} = 30 * t_{eve}
    [math]

now we can solve for one t and substitute into the third equation and solve for the other

now we can substitute into the 2nd equation to solve for d

Let me know if you have any questions.
    jimster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by asterisk_man
    distance = speed * time

you know distance was the same in each and that the sum of the times is 1 hour

these are the equations that you initially know:

since the first two both equal d you can set them equal to each other:
    [math]
    45 * t_{morn} = 30 * t_{eve}
    [math]

now we can solve for one t and substitute into the third equation and solve for the other

now we can substitute into the 2nd equation to solve for d

Let me know if you have any questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Distance learning [ 2 Answers ]

Would like to know if it's possible to get a DBA by distance learning

Distance learning [ 1 Answers ]

I want to do a management course form distance learning institute in bangalore,please suggest any good ,top institute in distace learning,is distance learning useful ,is it good for career aspect. :confused: please reply as oon as possible to my mail id [email protected]/FONT]:):)

The distance between us [ 6 Answers ]

So it is my three week anniversary (I know lame to keep track but I do) and every since the wedding my husband has been extremely irritable. I work 5 days a week from about 8-7 most days and he goes to school Monday Wednesday and Friday. The rest of the time he can do whatever he wants. But...

Critical Distance is Pipe Length or Literal Distance? [ 2 Answers ]

Is critical distance measurement based on the literal distance from a trap to the vent stack, or the total length pipe from the trap to the vent? In other words, if the trap is 4 feet from the vent, but the drain pipe from the trap to the branch that has the vent connected to it is 10 feet, is the...

Distance [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, it's me again. Has been a busy life since I was last on here so... with that said. Ever since me and the girl I was seeing broke up in late July... I educated myself on relationships and dating. I pretty much was a date-a-holic... and I eventually got tired of what I was doing because...

View more questions Search