Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Protecting flash drive: Strength or Shock Absorption?
    Years ago, after I'd ruined a cheap plastic flash drives because of rough treatment on my keychain (getting dropped, etc.) I went to Cruzer Titanium (encased in titanium) after seeing a PC Mag review where they threw it down, stomped on it, drove over it, etc...

Now I see a rubber encased one that supposedly "has been shown laundered, baked, frozen, boiled, dropped, and even run over by a SUV"

... titanium is stronger than rubber, but rubber is more shock absorbing.

Which would you choose for best overall protection in a rugged flash drive: Strength of titanium or shock absorption of rubber?

Thanks!
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Apr 27, 2007, 06:44 AM
    To my mind I'd go with rubber. Your previous experience has shown you that the drive failed because of shock, not bending, crushing, etc. Rubber would protect against shock, titanium would be of no use. The only question is, is there enough rubber to make any real difference. Assume there's some height, above which, an unprotected drive will be damaged and another height, above which a rubber protected drive will be damaged. If the first height is pretty high, like 6 feet, then rubber gets you nothing special. But since your drive broke previously from short falls we'll assume that it's probably about 2 feet. If the second height is too low, like 3 feet, it will offer some protection but not really enough to make a noticeable difference.

Net effect, I'd never pay extra for titanium and I'd probably pay a few extra $ for rubber thicker than about 1mm or 2mm. (just guessing on the 1mm, seems like less wouldn't be enough)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 06:53 AM
    They both have their advantages.

I think the rubber would serve you a little better, in the end. The place that I work, shock testing is a big thing, they have big vibrating machines to ensure the electronics don't break. I think an even better idea would be to wrap the titanium one in bubble wrap :) or cloth of some kind?
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Yeah, seems titanium for crushing incidences, wrapped in rubber for shock damage protection would be the best of both worlds.

I must admit: My Cruzer Titanium has really taken a beating in the 2 years I've had it and it's never failed.

I did just notice one thing about the rubber one that makes it less appealing. It has a cap. On the Cruzer there is no cap; the usb connector is retractable.

... decisions decisions...
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 07:08 AM
    PS - the rubber one does not say how thick the rubber is.

... at this point I'll probably stick with the Cruzer... but bummer that 4GB is the biggest. The rubber one is up to 16GB

... decisions decisions... :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Since a flash drive has no moving parts (its an integrated circuit) shock would seem to be a minor concern. However, the rubber does prevent ceertain types of damage as well.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Well the rubber will take shock and absorb the force while titanium or any metal or platic, will simply resist the force until the force is too great and it will deform the case and crush the circuits inside. So I would take the rubber one as it can deform and go back to the original shape. It would be interesting to see which would break first.

But yes, if your using it normally either should resist being knocked around in pockets or a fall from a few feet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restoring a Flash Drive (instead of re-formatting it) [ 26 Answers ]

I have a flash drive with a number of items on it that I need. When I go to access the drive, which I have used for the past couple of months, I now get an error message saying that the drive is not formatted and needs to be formatted. I know that if I re-format it, I'll lose all my work on...

Imation Flash Drive [ 2 Answers ]

My Imation Flash Drive 2.0 (2 GB) is not respondin any PC, Why? Help me. Muneer

Relating to imation flash drive [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, I have problem with my imation flash drive. Whenever I insert my flash drive in any computer the computer shows that the disk is working properly and the usb port are also working properly. But when I try to access the documents in the flash drive by clicking open or explore, the message...

Flash drive write protected [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ,I having 128 Mb flash drive of Frontech company.for some unknown reason that showing "write protected ,disable it to use" message is coming.I tried several ways but not succeeded.how to disable that write protected flash drive.presently it allows to copy from the drive but not to that drive and...

View more questions Search